1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver Side floor water leak (2005)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by frprius, Jul 19, 2018.

1. frprius

frprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When there is a very heavy downpour we have found the floor soaked particularly on the driver side. We don't have a garage and park the car in a driveway. When we first discovered this, it had probably been going on for awhile and the water was everywhere except the hatch: passenger and driver, front seats and back. We thought it was the windshield seal so we recently had that replaced. A few weeks had gone by and it was dry again so we thought that had to have been the solution. Recently we got a lot of other work done including replacing the whole AC system. After a few days of rain this week, the driver side is wet again. I can't tell where it is coming from! I've pulled back the carpet and the pads underneath are soaked through. I've pulled out the floor plugs and let it drain and then replaced them. A mechanic cleared leaves out from under the windshield. That didn't help. Any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

it generally comes in the bad seam welds under the plastic roof rails. not sure what the path to the door is.
    it can also enter through the hatch hinge areas or door seal.
    you can try a hard soaking with a garden hose, but it might take awhile to get to the floor.

have you checked the 12v area, beneath the spare and the hybrid battery?

3. frprius

frprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the welcome and response. There isn't any water in the back below the hatch. I don't understand how it could come in through the roof and the roof not be wet. I think there seems to be a concentration behind the accelerator pedal.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there might be some drains under the intake grille below the wipers. i'm not sure where the water would go otherwise. maybe the mechanic can look in the service manual and if there are, make sure they are working properly.

5. Prius head ache

Prius head ache New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2007 prius have the same problem and been digging to solve it... i noticed that the cable which go from the electric engine to the back of the battery is directly under the bed of the rain water drain right side under the windshield & usually these cables suck the water and let it pass all the way inside the car from the cable tube... hope this help somehow.