1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver side window doing strange things.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Topazx2, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Topazx2

Topazx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver side window goes down, then all the way up, then back down half way on its own when I lock the car using the door key. Is this something that can be programmed?

2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sounds to me like maybe you need an exorcist.

I truly have no idea whether or not it can be programmed, but I seriously doubt it. That would make no sense. A bad power window switch is all that comes to mind, but even that makes no sense. I see a really weird grounding issue in your future, but the only reason I say that is that whenever I've come across a car problem that is so weird and random that it seems like I need an exorcist it turns out to be an intermittently bad ground. I can't tell you, however, how such a thing would cause this to happen

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it works the same way as a Gen 2, you wind the window down to halfway, then wind it back up except when it reaches the closed position hold the window button in the "up" position for an additional 3 - 5 seconds. That should retrain the auto open/close to the new closed position.

If the auto up/down was working fine, but this happens only when locking the car, then yeah, that is weird.

4. Topazx2

Topazx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

OK, so the down up sequence solved the issue with the window going up and then half way back down and a wire shorting in the window cavity was the cause of the spooky magic stuff when inserting the key.
    I am a pastor, but I did not have to perform an exorcism.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Gen 1 had a feature where you could roll the window up or down by inserting the key, turning, and holding. Is there any chance that was what you were doing? "It's not a short, it's a feature!"

The disappearance of that feature was one of the ways you could tell if you had replaced your door lock actuator with a bum aftermarket one.

6. Topazx2

Topazx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nah, it happened as soon as we would turn the key to lock it. The actuator was not working when we got it and we didn't have a working remote. We now have a bum-after-market-actuator and two good remotes and it does not mess with the window anymore after replacing the harness that was damaged.
    However, I now want to test it and see if holding it in the lock position will indeed roll up/down the window. My nissan Maxima had that feature.
    This Gen 1 has a moon roof and an automatic sunroof control button that auto-closes the sun/moon roof when locking the door, that's a pretty cool feature.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it doesn't, you have a bum aftermarket actuator. If it does, you just have an aftermarket actuator.