1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver window won't open

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusGgirl, Aug 16, 2013.

1. PriusGgirl

PriusGgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all - I just took my 2007 Prius in to dealer to repair the drivers side window which hasn't worked for several months. (locked in closed position - others work)

Service dept says I need a new switch which will cost +$500 plus labor. Could that be right? Should I Iook around for after market and have someone else fix it?

He said that once one goes they all tend to go soon after. I assuming he means the drivers side switch that controls all four windows.
    Thanks for any help. Ggirl

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    PriusGirl - Go to the Parts Department (or other Toyota parts source), and ask them to quote you the cost of a Master-Driver's Side Window Switch Assembly to check and verify that the replacement part truly costs +$500...$500+ for the part alone. How much is their labor quote to install the new switch part?

The Service Manager's "...once one goes they all tend to go soon after" sounds like a "story."

Re: “Should I look around for after market, and have someone else fix it?” I would say, “Yes. If it were me I would pursue and look at a less costly route to repair the failed switch or whatever, before doling out $500+ in parts plus installation labor $$$.”

Additionally, is the Service Manager/Toyota Mechanic (and you) positive-sure it is, in fact, a failed Driver’s Window switch, and not the Driver’s Window motor that failed?

3. PriusGgirl

PriusGgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Cat: Thanks for your quick reply. I'll find out answers when I pick car up and get back with you tomorrow. Not going to have it done by them yet. Appreciate your insight.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $500 plus labor?
    I wonder what the labor rate would be if it were a warranty job versus what they had planned to stick it to you for?

Stay away from Toyota dealerships for a little while and do some internet research on replacing the switch yourself to include figuring out how much and where you can get the Master-Driver's Side Window Switch Assembly.
    Did they take your door apart or are they going to "Easter-Egg" the problem?
    "Easter Egging" is when you buy parts until they fix the problem...and you know what? It might not be the switch assy, but let's pretend that it is.
    They took the door apart and/or replaced the switch assembly with something out of a hangar queen to determine that that's the part, and then they put your door back together with the old (bad?) part in it so that they can tell you that the $500 switch is bad so that if you authorize the repair they can take the door back apart again????

Really? :rolleyes:

Or...are they just guessing about the Master-Driver's Side Window Switch Assembly???
    Either way?
    I guess you'll find out when you get your bill for whatever they did while your car was in their shop, huh?

Uh....
    I think I'd do something a little different like self repair or develop a relationship with an independent wrench.

Good Luck!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps you can find a switch at a junk /recycling yard? most of them never go bad.

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The switch assembly (84040 - contains all switches) for a Gen III does retail for ~$450, but unless the dealer actually tested it, I would get a second (and third) opinion. Personally, I would go the salvage yard route...

84040 Switch Assembly.PNG

7. PriusGgirl

PriusGgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks ETC(SS), RRxing and Bisco for the ideas and the diagram/part number - I didn't have the dealership make the repair, and the cost would have been $570 with labor. This car only has 42,500 miles on it (6 years old), and I've had cars with 180,000 that have never had the switch go out. I asked the dealer if they were sure it was the switch that went out, and he assured me it was. I'll look around - and if I end up having to pay that much, I've got a mechanic for our other cars I can use.

Thank you all for your help - I'll post again when I figure out what I'm going to do! PriusGGirl