1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers door courtesy lamp stuck on...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dbastille, Mar 30, 2014.

1. dbastille

dbastille Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All,
    This problem just happened and not sure where to look for solution.
    Just noticed while I was driving that the led lights in lower drivers door courtesy lamp was on.
    All other lights like dome are off.... I can open door and dome comes on and close and it goes out but my drivers door lamp just dims a little but stays on.
    I tried to leave the car and lock....all lights shut off but the drivers lamp!
    Had to disconnect lamp for now to avoid drain.
    Any ideas on what could cause this?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Just a thought.....could the LED lamp go bad and cause this?

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    link deleted

Down load "GEN-III-ZVW30 files (2ea.) In the electrical wiring diagrams go to Interior lights. If you can use a meter that should get you to the source of the problem.

3. dbastille

dbastille Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the help but don't think I have the diagnosing experience for this.
    Was hoping that this May have a easy solution from it happening in the past.
    Might swap other lamp to eliminate that idea.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just a wag, but perhaps the door switch is directly wired to the door lamp and there is an issue inside the door panel. might it be under warranty?

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No, the LED has no way to call for power. Something upstream isn't shutting off.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The door jam switch provides the ground for the lamp through the connector at the ECU. Sounds like the lamp has found a minor short (ground) based on you saying it dims a little when the door is closed. If the door switch was bad, all the lights "should" be affected. You really need a meter to chase it, otherwise you'll just be shot gunning parts at it.

If you don't have or know how to use a meter, first wiggle the wires going from the door to the car frame to see if the light flickers indicating chafed insulation, broken wires, shorted or loose pins, ect... Next, borrow the lamp assembly from the good door and slave it in to set if that works. This will save $$ because you can't return electrical parts if that's not it.

7. dbastille

dbastille Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your ideas and will try that once the weather gets better here. Been an icy rainy mess for awhile and need some dryness before I go into door panel if swapping lamps don't work.