1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers Seat in 2005 Prius Destroying My Back - Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Xtine000, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Xtine000

Xtine000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi guys,

I own a 2005 silver Prius, I believe it is the Base model? It's pretty basic :) . I'm having a really bad problem. I purchased this vehicle used in March of 2015. It has served me very, very well throughout the entire time I've owned it. But I noticed my back was progressively getting worse and worse.

I commute for sometimes up to 2 hours each way, to and from various jobs. The locations I work in change a lot. I do this job around 3 times a week, for a total of up to 12 hours a week commute time in addition to other trips like a 30 minute trip to and from some of my favorite stores, or to visit friends and attend events that could be about an hour and a half away from where I live or more.

I started going to the Chiropractor last May, and I've gotten much better but something was preventing me from fully being back to normal. Eventually I found an article about how bad bucket seats are for people - BINGO! I inspected the front seat of my Prius and found it to be the very worst seat possible, VERY bucketed with no shock absorption built into it. I put rolled up towels into the "bucket" of the seat so that my butt would be higher up than my knees, and started sitting up very straight while driving, and in addition keeping my elbows at my sides and gripping the wheel equally with both hands and on the bottom of the wheel not the top (I was killing my shoulders and pecs with this wheel because there is no steering fluid and it's very hard to turn!), and firing my hamstrings and glutes while sitting in the seat. Well, I could feel the difference immediately. I had been getting sciatica in my right leg and it was much less after taking these steps. I also immediately stopped having pain in my pecs and next to my neck. But my scapula especially my right one still feels messed up and in addition, my thorasic vertebrae are in pain still. I know I can't ALWAYS sit in this ridiculous posture in this car, when I do it, my head practically hits the ceiling because I"m up on 3 rolled up towels! That's how low the bucket of the seat actually is, it needs 3 towels stuffed in it to make it level with the front of the seat.

Can someone tell me where to get a seat that will be a more ergonomic and adjustible design, that I can replace my front seat with?

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!

Sore And Hurting Prius Driver

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can Google Prius seat replacement/coustom seat. that takes a lot of work and modifications. You might think about getting another car, a Prius v has higher more comfortable seats with lots of adjustments. Or maybe look into a camry hybrid of a ford fusion hybrid, also the 2013 Lincoln MKZ is a good buy!

krmcg and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    try a car seat implement from a back saver store/amazon. if that doesn't work, a car upholstery shop can make adjustments.
    if no luck there, people have put in better prius seats (electric with lumbar and leather) corolla seats, camry seats, volvo seats, carerra seats, etc.
    it all depends on how much time and money you want to spend, vs buying another car.
    my wife has a bad back, and cannot drive anything but a camry.

all the best!(y)

4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back pain is complicated because it's where all the systems of your vehicle come together... I used to have all kinds of lower back pain and associated problems and nothing helped until I went to YouTube and typed "lower back pain yoga" and have been doing yoga every day since and have eliminated 99% of all my issues.

Another issue with back pain is that it can be aware of what in our lifestyle is no longer tolerable long before we're consciously aware of it. Such as your job that requires a long commute. So yes it would be easy to, at least at first, blame it on the car seat, but what if the source of the pain was the job, not the seat?

As for the car, there's all kinds of different types of back support cushions, as well as posture adjustment/awareness. Also, not sure how tall you are, but if you're 6 feet or taller, remove the center console and replace it with a pillow so you have more room for your legs, as well as the ability to stretch your legs towards passenger seat while on cruise control.

6. Xtine000

Xtine000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the reply! Going to have to keep the job for at least another year so that's off the table. I commute long because I save money and get a better life experience living farther out. Just got to nail down this car ergonomics problem. I have done Yoga before and love it, unfortunately the small town I live in does not have really good Yoga classes that are worth the money. I can definitely try to find info online re: the correct positions that hep the areas that are sore. Remove the center console and replace with a pillow - genius! I will try to find a video on that right away. Thanks so much!!!! :)

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... I know the feeling... I have a huge houseplant collection and have some of my best ones in a Yoga studio in trade for unlimited yoga and haven't gone once, at least yet. For me Youtube and a quick guided 20 minutes session is more manageable. You also don't have to worry about loudly farting and can hit pause on the video to take a break to hydrate. :)

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Blown L5 S1 welcome to the club. Stop going to a chiropractor and get your back surgically repaired.
    Sell your Prius and get a car with decent seats. Prius G2 seats are the worst and the car has the suspension of a stagecoach and will greatly exacerbate any Mechanical back issue keeping you in constant spasm.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This challenge for some owners of Prius manifests-unfortunately more than you would want to hear.
    The near impossible challenge in providing an answer, is that every single person's back and ergonomic relationship with the Prius seats is 100% unique to that individual.

To venture forth at all?
    It would be a shame if this problem resulted in the end of your current Prius ownership.
    I tend to think the simpler solutions potentially the best. Which would just mean more experimentation with cushions. There are a plethora of cushions and aides available. You might be able to find one, that works a lot better than rolled up towels.

But quite frankly, maybe not.

For some people, back deterioration and back pain, coupled with the Prius seats has simply eventually been a deal breaker.
    I hope that doesn't end up being the case for the OP.
    Best of luck.

srellim234 likes this.