1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's Seat Remount at Home - 2 5/8" Back

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cycledrum, May 24, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    **** www.extendmyseat.com brackets for Gen2 Prius' became available July 2009. Use them for more seat travel instead of this difficult modification ****

** Project Completed! Done on used 06 Prius seat from salvage yard. Can slide back 2 5/8" further. Legroom improved! 2 5/8" equivalent to a bit over 4 extra clicks back, using 2 clicks and can comfortably reach the steering wheel. See post #28 for pics of four settings.

I would do this mod again, totally worth it! Original seat in my house. **

------------------------------------------------------------

Project started by purchasing the only used Prius driver's seat w/airbag within 60 miles (San Francisco Bay Area), tough to find, but seat in very good condition. Next, removal of the four mounting feet (removal of rivets, spot welds, must be very careful not to bend seat rails!). Gave drawing to metal shop to fabricate braces for 'extending' rails to front feet. Drill holes in braces, bolt, check fit, tack, then seat professionally TIG welded at metal shop. Sand, paint, grease rails, mount in car, connect, done.

Easy? Ah, no. This and more took place over 2 weeks in spare time after work.

PC member nyprius was about first to have this done through a handicapped retrofitter type business. Some have done it themselves also.

Passenger seat all the way back -
    IM002495.jpg

There are 2 bends in the front braces to leave the rails in same plane as stock. Left rear foot does not allow lifting of front of rails much, or that foot may deform. (when folks put 1 1/2" of washers under front feet to lift for thigh support, seems a possibility of bending left rear foot).

Seat rails and feet are strong metal as they are pretty tough to drill through.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...ving-feet-off-seat-rails-drilling-tricky.html

I chose a seat remount over height adjuster addition (PCers jelloslug , Solar_Powered did this) because it's easier and more seat travel a top priority (height adjuster mod does not give more legroom as Prius upper seat bottom frame already set 1/4" from fully back)

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...juster-vs-seat-remount-checking-them-out.html

Here's a front brace before welding. Technician said gray epoxy 'popped' right off during tack welding. Good. Can see '06 Pri' upside down -

IM002479.jpg

Notice sanded portion on bottom of rail. This is new location for rear foot. Once rear feet welded, left rear bolt will be 'sandwiched' permanently between mount foot and rail.

IM002478.jpg

Back mount feet prepped (paint sanded off) and in car. After front mounts loosely bolted in place, lifted rear rails and applied epoxy to set rear mounts in place. Left rear foot fell off during seat removal, but left an imprint to clamp in position for welding (far away from car of course).

IM002474.jpg

** Disclaimer - If you should decide to do a modification like this, it is at your own risk. It could damage your vehicle, you could be seriously injured or killed from failure of seat mount. Toyota sells no replacement parts for a Prius driver's seat with airbag, and such seat assemblies cost over $2,500 from Toyota. My modification was done on a 2006 Prius driver's seat with airbag which cost $300 from an auto salvage yard. **

** Note - my insurance carrier confirmed the car is still fully covered. A Toyota service advisor looked at the seat mod briefly and said should not be a safety problem long as it's electrically connected which it is. **

1 person likes this.
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    post deleted. project continued post #7

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Priuschat is a great and valuable resource. I might not have embarked on this project without seeing other's examples too.

So thanks to Danny and all the other contributors. :rockon:

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, that's the part that sucks about arc welding. I think they have helmets now that automatically darken when you strike the arc. I liked gas welding better because I could actually see what I was doing.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lowe's had an auto darkening helmet for sale - $199 !!

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Kind of pricey unless you are planning to become a pro. They didn't even have those helmets back when I took the welding class in college.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Project car

IM002480.jpg

Epoxy has been drying 11 hrs. so far. Seat should come out with feet exactly where they ought to be ... ready for welding.

IM002481.jpg

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had it professionally TIG welded. I'll keep an eye on these welds from time to time, but I doubt they'll ever break. Looks ugly, but sanding, painting makes it all nice again.

IM002483.jpg

IM002484.jpg

IM002485.jpg

Time to sand, paint, grease the rails and drop it in! Well, after work.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I grabbed gloss black in haste other morning, painted. Darn, Satin Black was the paint to get. No big deal.

IM002488.jpg

Tire screw jack doubles as seat lifter (or should I say lowerer?)

IM002489.jpg

Got to be inline, no cross-threading allowed! Thread lube helps out. Meanwhile I'm doing gymnastics to get right body position to turn ....

IM002490.jpg

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... this handy wrench found laying around.

IM002491.jpg

And the right bolt lines up too!

IM002492a.jpg

Feet, braces and rails all welded on 3 sides.

IM002493.jpg

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IM002495.jpg

IM002496.jpg

Time to plug-in the seat, then drive with more legroom!

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol -- tool from Ikea furniture?

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you're free at last, free at last ....

1 person likes this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it! Woohoo!!

Tom, thanks so much for your suggestions !!

btw, I don't have any Ikea furniture ... but I do have a motorcycle tool kit around. :)

15. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is that mod working out in terms of comfort? Is the reach to the steering wheel OK?

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before - 90 deg. leg bend
    050705 030.jpg

After - < 90 deg. bend
    IM002505.jpg

I've driven the car several times since Saturday, and it feels so much better to sit and drive in. I was just too darn close to the dash before, legs kinked up to use the pedals. Not anymore:)

I moved the seatback forward one notch today while retaining same headroom as before the modification. So my reach to the steering wheel is almost as good as before. Reach to steering wheel is not a safety hazard.

As one wise man said - "I've never heard a tall person complain after getting more legroom"

17. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or headroom.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A remounted-Corolla-height-adjustable seat mounted in 04 -09 Prius ...

breath... would be doable. Lot of work, but doable. (My work plus PCer's jelloslug or Solar_Powered's mod).

I'm not doing it ! :fear:

19. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I already lowered my seat by almost an inch at the rear. I was considering making it adjustable, but I'm ok with it now as is and I don't have any money to spend on it now (currently unemployed)

20. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I followed your instructions last summer. It worked wonders for both leg comfort and headroom! A little more leg room would be nice but I don't think it would work out in my case. Unlike cycledrum I would need some telescope on the steering wheel to be comfortable. Different proportions I guess.