1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's seat uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mjclarge, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Mjclarge

Mjclarge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone have any suggestions about how to modify my driver's seat experience?

The head rest tips my head forward and the seat curves my upper back forward, and this posture has taken a toll on my body. I'm 5'9" and medium build. I feel like I've been bent over a rice patty all day after my commute;)

Can anyone suggest anything that has worked? These seats should be recalled!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The design is to minimise the time it takes for the headrest to "catch" your head in the event of a rear-end collision (to minimise whiplash injury). One option is to recline the seatback one more notch rearward to "straighten" out the headrest.

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can try and flip the head rest around.

Mike

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I drove my old Toyota Corolla DX Wagon (see threads passim) I found the somewhat limited comfort of the driver's seat greatly improved by the addition of a beaded-cover
    - I found I've never needed it in my Prius, however it might just work for you! (YMMV) Good luck! - hope this helps - Wil
    BTW - Welcome to PriusChat!

5. Mjclarge

Mjclarge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thx for your reply- the shape of the seat will be the same though- I've tried sitting up straight in the seat but it's hard sit up in this seat without support.

6. Mjclarge

Mjclarge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thx!!

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IF you had a IV or V, you could fiddle with the lumbar support but I see that you have a III and the cloth seats don't have adjustable lumbar support.

8. Mjclarge

Mjclarge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thx anyways!!

9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately, we humans are all shaped differently. I find the Prius seats adequate. The only suggestion I have for you is try to get electric seats from a 4 or 5 installed.

10. Mjclarge

Mjclarge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    T
    Thx for the suggestion! I'll check into it- it's probably pretty expensive but it's worth checking into.

11. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always install authentic sheep skin covers on my front seats. They make the seat much more comfortable due to the increased bulk of the pelt. They are also much cooler in the summertime. Another idea would be to add additional foam padding in between the covers and the seat. This would allow you to literally customize you seating.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trade for a 2016!:)

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2010 Prius II and a 2015 Prius Four with the heated, lumbar, fake leather (vinyl) seats. Both are uncomfortable. Don't waste your money trying to put the factory Four/Fives in, it's not worth it.

14. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Not sure if the 2010 III seat is the same as the 2011 III seat. Maybe. I have a micro-adjuster on my seat that allows up or down motion from a pivot point at the back of the seat. The whole seat rotates on this point. I spent quite a bit of time making minor adjustments to get it as right as I could. I tried many variations of the micro-adjuster and seat recline setting. I spend 3 hours in that seat every day so I was able to test the adjustments. I was able to find a happy medium after a couple of weeks. The steering wheel is quite adjustable also, up, down, in, and out. You might try all that.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any car seat that takes a couple of weeks to find a happy medium is not considered comfortable by any stretch. My advice to Mjclarge is just learn to live with it like the rest of us...using whatever works for you. I still think the mistake was using a smaller body standard (Japanese) in design, reductions in weight and cheaping out on construction. Regardless the reason "so many" people find them uncomfortable, let's hope they fixed it on the Gen IV's.

16. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I use a large throw pillow for a cushion and it really helps the comfort (probably doesn't look too cool but what the heck).

frodoz737 likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would one of those aftermarket "posturer-pedic" seat pads help?

18. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

after several pillows and every angle possible I got rid of my v after only a few months. a year later I bought a c and have no complaints about it!

19. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although the Prius seat seems much heavier than those of my smaller 1972 and 1981 Japanese cars, the fundamental problem with the back seems to be exactly the same---near-zero lower back support structure, forcing the occupant to slump. The lower cushion has a similar problem. I modified those older seats to provide some support, but didn't have to worry about air bags in them. My mother's 2000 Camry's seats were much better than all the above.

20. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Everyone is shape differently, they try to design seats that will accommodate the majority of their buyers of that car! You can get custom made seats but expect to fork out up $3000 per seat, well worth it if you spend lots of time or enjoy the pleasures of driving!