1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers Side Headlight Significantly Brighter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Dr.Crackers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dr.Crackers

Dr.Crackers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all, this is my first post here!
    I recently got a great deal on a low-mileage 2011 Prius III, and am, for the most part, happily enjoying it.
    There is something that's been irking me, however.
    I recently noticed that the drivers side headlight is A LOT brighter than the passenger side headlight, to the point where I initially thought that the passengers side headlight was burnt out before I'd stepped out of the vehicle to find that it was actually on, just not nearly as bright as the drivers side.

Is this a defect? Does one of the bulbs need replaced? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is not uncommon for the passenger side headlight bulb to be improperly installed/seated into the back of the headlight housing due to the really tight space behind the headlight housing to access the bulb and remove and replace it. Unfortunately, installing the bulb off-angle like that often leads to the plastic headlight housing to melt from the improperly mounted bulb.

Check it out ASAP, or have someone do it for you. If the headlight housing is damaged, it will be an expensive replacement of the entire headlight assembly.

Access to the bulb can be made easier by removing the 10mm bolts that hold the air intake hose in place and bending it out of the way.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 xliderider, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Grit likes this.
  3. Dr.Crackers

Dr.Crackers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much for the quick reply!
    I realize now that I probably put this in the wrong part of the forum... Oh well, newbie mistake lol. Anyway, this should be covered under the dealer warranty I got with the car, thanks again for the information!

-L____S¯¯¯¯¯¯

4. coach4docs

coach4docs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm asking about replacing the headlights in my 2011 and 2012 (V). Now at an age when cataract formation is beginning...and as others have pointed out...headlights seem to me to be less bright. Is there a recommendation for halogen versus led? If led, what specific bulb or is there a resource through which to do a bit of research? In advance...thank you. Night driving is still necessary and I want to be as safe as possible.