1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers Visor with Extension Slider

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by X HCH2, Jan 10, 2013.

1. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Prius C: We had a discussion on here about how many of us wish for a sun visor with an extension to cover that gap at the end of the visor when turned to the side. It seems like the sun always comes through that gap.
    On a pure guess, I bought a visor from an 08 Yaris on ebay for $25. The picture looked like it might fit, so I gambled.
    When I received the visor, I noticed right away thatit is a perfect size match, good news. But the mounting method is totally different. Prius C visor is screwed on with 2 screws, Yaris is held on with two large spring clamps.
    Note large differences:

Attached Files:

GTprii, SuperABM and tk1971 like this.
  2. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    After struggling and thinking about it for a night, I thought that I could modify the Yaris visor mount to accept 2 screws. This was accomplished by removing the decorative cover, the spring clamps, and a lot of excess plastic geometries. Then I was left with two rectangular sockets which I filled with 1/8" aluminum and drilled holes to match the C. Tools required are a hacksaw and a dremel tool, drill and countersink. Pictures are in reverse order, I think. Sorry.

Attached Files:

GTprii and tk1971 like this.
  3. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It is now installed and working great. The Yaris visor is a shade darker grey, but hardly noticeable. It fit perfectly and snaps right into the bearing stabilizer socket.
    There may be a "bolt in" visor somewhere out there and I hope someone finds it. Until then, this is an alternative.
    X

Attached Files:

4. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice mod. Well done ;)

5. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Very nice, though a little more effort/skill than I was hoping to have to invest to get my visor extenders. Question... I'm assuming there's no way that the Yaris visor could detach from it's factory mounting plate and instead attach to the mounting plate of the Prius C's original visors? Thanks for taking on this challenge and posting your pictures and experience... much appreciated!

6. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Believe me, I tried everything easy first. The visor will not slide off of its rod, hammer test. The mounts are assembled with one-way tapers that lets the assembly go together, but will not allow removal. I did not destroy one trying, but tried everything I could short of cracking the plastic.
    X

7. WEEBEDNA

WEEBEDNA New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I did this mod also. I used the prius mounts with the Yaris extension visors. The visor arm is the same on both so I did the following...
    1. File down the tips of the arms on the prius visors so you can pull them out of the bases. It's plastic. It helps to have a grinding wheel but a file would also work .
    2. For the Yaris visors, use a hack saw blade to cut off the plastic clips on the base that secure the visor arm and then pull out of base.
    3. Now lube up the tips of the Yaris visor arms and press them into the Prius bases. This takes some solid pressure.
    4. Optional..I removed the hand grasp on the drivers side so the visor would flip around and be flush with the side window.
    It took me about an hour of fiddling around trying to figure it out
    This is one mod worth doing.

GTprii likes this.
  8. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Did you take any pics of this when you did it? I want to see if I can do it:)

9. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like something I could do with reasonable competency. Would also love some pics if you happen to take any! BTW, where are you guys getting your Yaris visors? Thanks!

Kdunavantfwtx likes this.
  10. Timw

Timw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought Visormates, all it cost is 12.00 and don't have to modify anything!

11. WEEBEDNA

WEEBEDNA New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry but I didn't take any pics. I will try to use some posted pics above to clarify.
    The add on visors are the simplest and just as effective, I just wanted the OEM look. I got them off eBay.

GTprii likes this.
  12. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just bought the visor mates and they do block the sun but make the interior of the car feel a bit cheap. I'm going to try to keep the prius mounts and snap in yaris visor arms...

SCH-I535 ? 4

13. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think I am ready for this challenge. Any tips or photos would be welcome. Will any Yaris visors work? Thanks!

SCH-I535 ?

14. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a classic case of "stupid" on Toyota's part. They put a nice visor in the cheap Yaris, but not in the Prius!? No justification for that decision.

GTprii and koipond like this.
  15. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    holy cow... even on ebay *used* these things are expensive... an average of $40 or so per visor?!? Even when stripped off of a junked car?!?

Any input out there as to how to get a decent *pair* of these at a reasonable cost??

visor 2008 Toyota Yaris slide gray | eBay

16. kentsmith

kentsmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the standard PI-Prius. Do we know if the visor is the same length between all these? I don't have access to the car at the moment, but will try this mod either way.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've never heard of a difference between models, and I agree that the visors are too short to block sunlight properly. I'm happy with my own mod, but I'm sure there are third-party add-ons.

GTprii likes this.
  18. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the reasoning for this has to do with the side curtain airbag not being compatible with the visor extender. Speculatively, there may be a concern that the air bag would blow shards of plastic into the side of your head.

GTprii and bisco like this.
  19. dotcommer

dotcommer New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Reviving this thread as I just purchased a Prius Prime Advanced and realllly hate the short visor. Is the Yaris visor still the ideal mod here? Or have there been new mods that have been discovered since this thread? Thanks.

GTprii likes this.
  20. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sure you would want to do it? That visor mod may actually kill you if your side curtain airbags deploy. Kinda like people letting dogs ride on their lap while driving. Perfectly fine until that tiny dog gets put where your lungs used to be in a wreck.