1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers who cut less than 1 car length in front of you ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by New_Yorker, May 3, 2010.

1. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

I like that. ... and, I bet your gas tank is half full when, for others, it's half empty. Your positive perspective is exactly what the world needs. :)

2. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Around here they are called "Moses blinkers (as indicators are called in the states) because some people think that because they put them on, traffic will part, and just go, never mind the gap.

3. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the State of New York the Department of Motor Vehicles says that it is legal and safe to return your vehicle to the right lane after passing, when you can see the front bumper of the car you passed, visible in your rear view mirror. Generally speaking that means about two car lenghts beyond the slower vehicle, providing of course you Do Not then Slow down below that cars speed.

The passing of heavy trucks, is more a matter of planning for survival, in case you are forced to slam on the brakes. You would be wise to recognize that 20 or 30 tons barreling along at 60 or 70 could stop in a considerable distance if provided or slighty faster as it crushes your car under its front end. Good drivers avoid setting themselves up for such scenario's.

The other component of safe passing is signaling to others, who may not have a magnifying glass of sufficient size to 'Read Your Mind', what you are about to execute with your car. The verb 'Execute' was not used simply to denote your action, but to also suggest your consequences. Signaling is how to protect yourself, and is never a courtesy meant just for other drivers. That's because when driving, the car that kills you, you never see in time. So Activate the blinking turn signal, for a few seconds BEFORE the wheels of your car cross the lane separation lines, it could save you your life one day. (The signal is NOT meant to show what you have already done, but what you are about to do)

And lastly, I ask What's the Hurry ? With miles of open highway ahead in the unobstructed 'Passing Lane' why would you insist on cutting back into the personal space of the car you passed, drive awhile in the passing lane, what's the harm ?

4. cmezriczky

cmezriczky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had an experience like this today in the morning. A car first tailgating me then cutting me short and next tailgating a transport for handicapped persons.

When the car drove past me I saw that it belonged to a large electronics company. So I thought I might e-mail their PR persons and the PR persons of the Europe-Unit.

I wonder how they will respond...