1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drives Perfectly but inverter failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nick900, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nick900

Nick900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry guys the fault as listed in the MFD relating to the nav is 50- 48.

Thanks

Nick

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nick, You did the work, so you deserve the honors. Congradulations. As for the dealership, they are fearful it could take days with no fix in sight.....the business motivation is always "Do not lose money" Electricians/Electronics is not thier strongpoint. (bailywick ??)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Nick,

That is great news, congratulations to you!!! I am glad that your persistence paid off.

4. Nick900

Nick900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Pat any ideas of suggestions regarding the nav? I just checked the fault code reading when out and it gave another code I did not have a pen and on return code had gone. I am convinced I have another poor or faulty connection. The confusing part is from the history....

When we got the car no nav reader or amp reverse parking camera was working. On connecting nav and amp it stopped with the screen flickering. On disconnecting amp and nav still no reverse parking camera. Any suggestions guys?

Nick

Incidentally called the dealership and explained how thanks to the members of this forum the £10000 repair had cost £5. Needless to say there were embarrased and sheepish but keen to ask me questions as how did we do that.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since it's already worked once, I'd continue to inspect and clean. It could work twice.

Do you really need the amp and nav to just drive the car?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nick, I don't recall without reading through all of the previous posts, but is this the original NAV unit, or a replacement?

Tom

7. Nick900

Nick900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi it is the original nav. You are right having been given stories of the car blowing up we are very relieved its working okay. Naturally we would like to have all the functiongs working.

Managed to get another fault code to come up but again it disappeared.

LAN MONITOR EMV

Code Sub Code
    01-D9 178-1E-1

8. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i would suggest contacting someone about this the flood that is.

i bought a new tacoma flooded, and the airbag computer, and the occupant classification system computers were fried.

does it smell weird inside? also if there is still water or rust on connectors i suggest running a dehumidifer inside the prius until u pickup enough water

9. Nick900

Nick900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We had no idea it was flood damage as everything was completely dry inside the car. We would not have bought it if there had been any strange smells or anything which gave away the idea of it having sustained flood damage. I have just tried to buy a subscription to the Toyota Tech site to try and go through the last few codes. I cannot do so as it is only open to the US does anyone know of a site which allows subscription for the UK / Europe?

Thanks

Nick

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Nick900

Nick900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Think I have finally solved the last part of the puzzle. The antenna connector to the nav and the one under the carpet with the junction for the reversing camera I had gone over the top with cleaning and perhaps foolishly used 1500 grit wet and dry to clean. I went through the metal coating into the copper underneath which seems to be causing the failure! Will endeavour to replace both connectors and advise when complete. Does anyone know if they are common in car and readily available or specific to Toyota. I am reluctant to go back to the dealer given the complete lack of support they have given me.

Regards

Nick

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try tracing everywire harness to and from Nav and Camera boxes, clean again, inspect again. It sounds like you have a almost conducting situation but the signals are still weak. The act of reconnecting will often correct. Do this many times until back-up camera and nav system works perfectly. You may also find another abraded, worn or exposed wire. I don't understand what caused this but it is possible that 1 o2 wires are pulled away from the connector pins. Maybe it got some rough handling after the "incident" Sometimes wires need a solder touch-up to restore conductivity. BUT, it's tricky. Too much heat from a solder pencil can ruin things. It takes a rare talent to solder small connectors. GOOD LUCK

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, I missed your latest. Antenna connector will do it. Copper underneath immediate male or female surfaces should have little effect. Yes almost any sandpaper or emory paper is too harsh. Better a small brass cleaning brush especially for electronics. It is actually just like a suede brush." Had gone over the top with cleaner " What does that mean? You are taking the connectors apart (where possible) before spraying with cleaner, right?, and shaking off excess cleaner? Probably like everything the connectors are peculiar to the car. Everything is propriatary, meaning Money. Cheers

14. Nick900

Nick900 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Everyone,

Everything is now fixed and working perfectly! The final 2 elements the nav and reversing camera were not working due to the video [am guessing RGB] connectors. With the reversing camera I simply cut the connectors off and soldiered in joints. Its a very small gauge so cut up the cable on an old joystick I found in the loft and used this and used a small section of coax! This allowed the reversing camera to work. I took the connector into the nav apart carefully and completely removed the 2 core cables and outer shield stripped it back to clean cable and reinstalled it.

Now its all good with everything as it should be. I would not strongly advocate anyone with a prius out of warranty to use this forum rather than confused and inempt dealers.

Nick

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great job. If you consider your own labor "free", you got a bargain. (You never did say what you paid for your Prius.)

I'd advise not buying a salvaged Prius, or one with any sort of water damage.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    congrats, your persistence really paid off!

fwiw, dealers don't typically rebuild things like wiring harnesses and electronic connectors. their place in the world is a straight diagnose, remove and replace with new part. they are not trained to rebuild electronics or wiring. this becomes very expensive when you start talking new wiring harnesses and inverters.

from the codes they got vs the evidence, they should have been more suspicious of ecu or wiring trouble over inverter trouble. unfortunately not everyone is cut out for diagnostic work either, trust me on that one.

now you really *did* get a good deal on your prius.

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats Again, You Did A Great Job And Saved Thousands Of Pounds.

18. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fine job! Too bad your dealer wasn't more help, but Kudos Patrick et al who gave help!

Icarus

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Nick,

Would you mind taking photos of all of the areas where you located and repaired the bad wiring harness connections (especially the A pillar location), and post? This might help other owners with minor flooding problems.

Thanks.

20. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Nick,

Really glad that this is working out for you!

If you're ever in the Bristol area pop by and show me what you've managed to do! Well done you!

Nikki.