1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

drivetrain resistance (not coasting)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrewlcox, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All,

Yesterday while approaching my turn at an intersection I lifted my foot off the accelerator pedal and my car felt like it switched to regenerative braking without using the brake pedal. Now the car feels like it's stuck in regenerative brake mode. The only way to describe it is by the seat of my pants. The car doesn't seem like it's freely rolling like it's previous 43,000 miles. It feels heavy after that incident yesterday and doesn't seem to coast or glide, like a dragging brake or something.

I am going to call the dealership from work today to see if they can scan it for any issues.

I did a quick search but could not find a similar case. Has anyone here read about this or experienced it for yourselves?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you have the inverter TSB/recall done?

2012 Toyota Prius v Recalls | Cars.com

#2 Air_Boss, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your car does enter regenerative mode when you lift your foot off the gas. coasting/gliding can only be obtained by holding the accelerator pedal slightly down, or putting it in neutral.
    since you feel that something has changed, can you provide more data? what is the regen bar showing on the hsi? have mpg's dropped? how are the tyres pressure?

#3 bisco, Nov 25, 2016
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That you notice a difference is significant. There's always a slightly drag due to regen happening when you lift off the gas, but you're saying there's a marked increase in drag now.

You mention "dragging brake", but just for description. Maybe pursue that as well?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure your not in Power mode or possibly "normal" (eco off, pwr off) mode. Power mode will feel like more engine braking than Eco. Try it several ways.

#5 rjparker, Nov 25, 2016
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Possibly driving in "B" mode?

7. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All,

I took it to the dealer expecting to have it scanned but they said since there are no codes (maintenance required dash light) they would test drive it and look at the brakes. They said my brakes are 85% all around and not dragging.

The inverter TSB was done shortly after it came out. I pumped the brakes and parking brake and don't think its dragging brakes.

The sensation I feel in the seat of my pants is ever so slight but my car feels different.

If anything changes, I'll be sure to update this post but maybe it's just me and my 2012 Prius v 5 is fine. Time will tell.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Andy

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the update!

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @bisco asked (post #3) about tire pressures. Typically scenario where this comes into play is when you set tires at higher pressure, take the car in for service, and they set them back to specified pressures. Could something like this be happening?

bisco likes this.
  10. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Forgive me for asking, but have you checked your tires? One low tire anywhere will greatly effect coasting range

11. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I'm back with an update. The problem was real. My mileage had dropped from 40 down to 34mpg according to the dash gauge.

I was driving home one day and could feel the car dragging its feet. I could feel it in the seat of my pants that the car was artificially slowing down when I let off the gas and was heavy when pressing the gas.

I jammed on the brake and floored the gas pedal. The engine tried to rev and the car tried to go but the brakes stopped the car and it felt like there was an override kicking in because the car didn't rev to the moon.

That fixed it. It took a couple of minutes to feel the new sensation but the car was rolling freely again. I believe it was stuck in transition between regenerative braking and free rolling.

I hope this helps anyone with the problem I was having. All is good now.

Andy

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting. How long has elapsed since you did that now, say a tank or two? And you're seeing mpg going back up, and continued easier rolling?

13. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The problem lasted for at least a month when I jammed the brakes and fixed it. Yes the fix has lasted for a few months and my mileage shot back up to 40mpg. It coasts great again and doesn't nose dive when I let off the gas. It was a crazy stunt to fix it but I'm glad I tried it (out of frustration).
    Andy

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heading of this happening. One guy bought another Prius to try switching it's engine, transmission, and swapping everything else you can imagine. I bet he didn't try your trick!

Just double checking... you did this while sitting still and in drive?

15. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was rolling about 5-10 mph when I floored it and jammed on the brakes with both pedals down. I alternated and the car lurched and bucked and detuned the throttle and that was it. It was risky but worth it.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  16. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It did it again this weekend! I could feel it in the seat of my pants again. The car would not pick up any speed coasting down a hill, in fact it slowed down coasting down hills. I did the same trick as I described above and the car is working again.

I need to ask Toyota today about any TSBs concerning this problem. I wonder what kind of part handles the transition between regenerative braking and free coasting?

Andy

17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hard to believe that problem and 'workout' wouldn't set some codes.

18. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm taking it to the local dealer tonight for an oil change and will have them scan for codes and report back.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a thread here by a guy who claims that some V's are 'trailer cars'. iow, it feels like you're pulling a trailer. he dismantled the whole drive train and couldn't find anything wrong. is it possible you have a brake issue?

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would have guessed sticking rear brake(s), especially seeing how easy it is to improperly install them, resulting in failure of the self-adjusters.