1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

drivetrain resistance (not coasting)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrewlcox, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Andrewlcox

Andrewlcox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Both times it has happened I have felt around the wheels for heat buildup from dragging brakes and nothing was evident. The first time the drag was like two bars of regenerative indication and the second time was less and felt like 1 bar of regenerative braking.

It feels like sticking brakes but more like sticking regenerative braking. As I finish a stop the car abruptly stops without added brake pedal. It's a weird sensation and one that I can identify after 5 years and nearly 50,000 miles. It's gone today but may be back tomorrow.

The service desk was too busy to deal with more than just my oil change but I'm going to email them and see if they respond.

Andy

Claudiopi likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out the 'trailer' thread by member @kirill626 , all the best!(y)

#22 bisco, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just thinking. This sounds more like mechanical friction of some kind. Regen braking will decrease in intensity as speed decreases and at some point just before you stop would be so insignificant, I doubt you'd feel it. That's why the friction brakes have to take over for you to come to a complete stop. But I would expect mechanical resistance to have a consistent feel from full speed to stop. If it's stopping abruptly, I can't see that coming from the regen system. Something somewhere in the drive train is dragging.

4. Claudiopi

Claudiopi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi I'm having the same problem. What did they say?

5. Master7978

Master7978 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had the same problem in my 2010 Prius IV. It literally feels as if the regenerative breaking is always on. My MPG has been steadily dropping. (Averaged 47-50mpg, now down to 37.5) It is noticeable not just from the HUD MPG, but I've kept track of every fill up since I purchased the. Vehicle, and the mpg has definitely dropped. Originally thought it was due to needing new tires. Since then I hit something pob the road that required some body work, replaced some parts of the under carriage, new tires were installed LRR, oil & filter change, coolant change, Inverter coolant change, air filter replaced and alignment, and brake check. Yes I have been a tire over inflater since purchasing the vehicle and left them at spec this time. Both still feel a noticeable drag. I stumbled upon this thread and decided to do the stop/rev method after filling the tank and driving about 21 miles. (No reason for the fill up and drive. It was just stopping mid commute and hopping back on the freeway). I pulled to a small street and stopped hard from 10mph, slammed on the gas abs speed again. Slammed on both simultaneously. After this, my HUD mpg jumped up to 46 then 47.9 mpg while driving. The highest I've gotten in the last 6 months was 41 on the HUD. I'll see how my next commute is on mpg and how the tank of gas does and let u all know. Any input would be great!

2010 Prius IV
    Bought used at 30k
    Now at 216k

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might the rear brake calipers been off the rotors recently, either for brake inspection or the undercarriage parts replacement?

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Optimistic

Optimistic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, in another post I read, the problem was the car accidentally being in the "B" instead of Drive.

8. Muhammad Sarosh

Muhammad Sarosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey everyone, gone through the thread. Having same issue with my 2010 Prius. I noticed that nobody talks about one option here, while driving if I shift my car to netural gear, the car gets smooth and relaxed and when I put in D gear drive mode it starts getting the engine drag... Is it the same with others experiencing same issue?

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bad shift switch, signaling B for D?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Coasting in D imposes a slight amount of regeneration. If you barely depress the gas pedal it ceases that and rolls easier. This would seem to be as it should be.

Brian1954, jerrymildred and Air_Boss like this.