1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving a Prime--Are We Just Smarter?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ClemsonSteve, May 7, 2018.

1. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The average person only spends 8 hours per week in their car--driving from point A to B. So, does a person really need an Audi, or BMW, or Lexus? I'd rather save all that money, and spend it in more meaningful ways. So why do you drive a Prime, as opposed to a sports car or luxury sedan?

HPrimeAdvanced and EyePrime like this.
  2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I don't have a Prime, but have a Gen3. I also own a Lexus and Infiniti. Gen3 is my daily, as it is too expensive to drive the Lexus or Infinite daily. Plus I enjoy my Prius! When I do need to show off at the Valet I drive the Infinite :) Lexus is now a show car and is a garage queen.

breakfast and ClemsonSteve like this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why, YES, we are smarter.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to take a contrarian view.

I drove 30,000 miles a year for 10 years as the IT Department for a Mental Health Organization in northwestern Mississippi. If you drive enough, the cost of gas is important. If you drove 6 blocks to work in the morning and 6 blocks back home, you can never commute enough to make a Prius a good investment. You might as well choose a car by purchase price.

Since I retired in August 2016 I have only driven 7,000 miles. if I were buying today, it would not be a Prius. Perhaps a Kia Soul.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why not a Skoda?! :)

HPrimeAdvanced and ClemsonSteve like this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have no idea where to buy a Skoda in the US, and I am huge, so I have to fit in the car. Karoq?

ClemsonSteve and orenji like this.
  7. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Prime is an outstanding value but it is not the car most people *want*
    I'm eyeing an electric bicycle that costs ~ $3k I might use 2 hours a week

<<shrug>>

#7 Oniki, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    ClemsonSteve likes this.
  8. Digloo2

Digloo2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had a 2012 Prius V, and I was able to swap it out for a new Prius Prime. I had a bunch of negative equity that got transferred over, so my payments are ridiculously high. (The car I traded in on the Prius V had negative equity, and it has just gotten bigger.) There's no way to get out from under this unless I give it back to the bank and then declare BK, which I'm not keen to do (and probably wouldn't succeed at right now anyway). But if I'm going to have to drive around in a car that's too expensive, it might as well be a brand spanking new one!

Aside from that, I rarely drive more than 30 miles per day, and the cost to charge the car for that distance is about $1/day.

I really like not burning gas, but it's not cost-effective unless the price of gas continues to stay above about $2.75/gal.

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Smarter; a relative term ... that doesn't account for disposable income. Example?
    Folks who bought a prime, because their credit score lets them, yet they can hardly pay the rent & buy groceries? it wouldn't be smarter.
    Family size Examples:
    3 kids? Our daughter would either have to leave hubby home or the 8yr old.
    Oh - & baby #4 is on the way. Yeah, those two need another Hobby. But a Prime would not be smarter.
    Pro USA?
    It's almost impossible nowadays to buy a car completely made in this country, but many want to do their part for u.s. manufacturing.
    Other "no-Prime for us" perfectly good reasons (not
    counting other posts);
    Only vehicle, & it has to haul/trailer heavy loads. Or,
    Existing car still has 100K miles left in it.
    Etc. etc etc
    iow, for some, it'd be unwise to get a prime. So rather than prejudge one's transportation choice(s) as being (less) smarter - maybe understanding each buyer makes the smart choice that's smart for them.

VFerdman, ClemsonSteve, scona and 3 others like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    intelligent choices vs emotional choices, twas ever thus.

11. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was amused by OP's rationale, that buying a Prime leaves money for other things. As if everybody would agree with his choices for other things.

12. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Personally, I 100% agree with the OP's outlook on the matter myself, but as others have posted, everyone's different, and you can't chide them for their choices.

For instance, someone else could rightly say "I saved almost $30,000 because instead of buying the Prime, I simply ride my bike, take the bus, and rent a car once a year when I need to take a long trip."

Or, someone else could say "I bought a Prime over a BMW to save money... which I then used to buy a used Hummer, because I just love cracking streets and burning gas like air."

I'm of the "car's only purpose is to get you from Point A to Point B" school of thought as well, but people have their passions, including cars. Some will spend a small fortune on yearly Disneyland passes. Others on collecting rare stamps, Beanie Babies, or Moon rocks, and others on taking trips to Pitcairn Island or the Galapagos.

Even if I had bags of money, I'd never get a luxury car because to me it's a total waste of money too, but eveyrone's different, and others might like the comfort, the status, or simply the design of the car itself. Remember, to a Toyota Echo or Yaris owner, the Prime might seem like a waste of money :)

#12 stevepea, May 8, 2018
  13. ClemsonSteve

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Awesome responses!

I would argue that the way most people accumulate money is to save money. So what really matters is how you spend the money you make—and then how much you are able to save at the end of the month. Most millionaires will tell you that they got to that level of wealth (and stay there), not by spending, but by saving. Another way is to make sound investments too. For me, I can drive an Audi S4 or a BMW 5, but when I step back and apply analysis, it just doesn’t make sense to make that luxury purchase. I’m only in the car 8 hours a week—to get from point A to point B, driving to and from work, and shorter trips for shopping and restaurants.

So my financial planning, and the resulting analysis lead me to the following:

For me, the point of diminishing returns to spend on a car is $30,000–and with that amount I feel like it’s best to buy a new Prime, spend almost nothing on gas, and keep the car until it dies (15 years/230k Miles). Then take the money otherwise spent on gas, insurance, maintenance and additional car payments (versus a $65k Audi S4 with performance brakes and tires, etc) and sink that into building my dream home—where I plan to spend most of my time.

For my planning, the Prius Prime is almost the perfect car—for those who plan to keep it until it dies, who don’t care what others think, and just want a safe nice ride to get from point A to B. My other car is an SUV, and the ride we take on trips. With my financial planning, the Prime fits like a glove!

Since2002, orenji and EyePrime like this.
  14. ClemsonSteve

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also, according to analysis from consumer advocate Clark Howard, a Prius is two times more likely than the average car to reach 200,000 miles (way higher than any other car listed), and 85% more likely than the average car for ownership by the original owner at the 15 year mark.

HPrimeAdvanced, orenji and EyePrime like this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Clark also drives a Tesla (model S iirc). He did a write-up as to why that choice (for him) was so economical - if you can believe it.
    But yeah, as for the Prime or any other car, many people nowadays are just doing with having a car. After all, $30k will buy a lot of uber rides if you don't need to go too far too often.

16. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Clark was parroting iseecars.com, and that firm had its data misrepresented.

And just so you know, they conclude that an SUV is the vehicle of choice.

17. ClemsonSteve

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOL—Clark did rationalize the Tesla, before that I think he had a Leaf and a Prius.

Yes, they did—but not based on overall cost. Consumer Reports has it best.

Attached Files:

#17 ClemsonSteve, May 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2018
  18. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Cost may have been implied, ensnaring Clark. But all the data they had was on was odometer readings at the time of resale. My point is that the odometer readings available are being misconstrued as a surrogate for vehicle longevity. It is simply impossible to conclude that the Prius is X% more likely to reach 200k miles before junking than the average car from the data.

The data says that the fraction of Prius being sold on the used car market that are high mileage cars is ~ double the average.

#18 Oniki, May 8, 2018
    ClemsonSteve likes this.
  19. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prime cause I can drive on ev only

HPrimeAdvanced and ClemsonSteve like this.
  20. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My four reasons, not necessarily in order of importance:
    1) because no other car available has the "auto re-fuel" feature ( solar roof) I just left parked the car under the sunlight and she does the trick
    2) because I've seen around Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis and many other luxury/sporty cars, but I havent yet encountered another Prime
    3) because it's the first car I own in which I can listen to good music, decently played, at low volume, without any background noise
    4) because the life is good.