1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Driving aids: GPS & Cell Control

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by fotomoto, Dec 6, 2017.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In a past thread about trying to upgrade a base factory head unit to one with NAV, one member here suggested getting on the latest GPS units to solve severals problems with factory NAV's including lockout issues, outdated maps, map update costs, poor interface, etc. I haven't used a standalone GPS in over 10 years; basically since factory nav's and smartphones took over but on their recommendation I decided to give a new one a try. And I'm glad I did.

This summer, I got this Garmin at discount from their refurb store: Garmin DriveAssist 50LMT Fast, free shipping (tracking # within an hour of ordering). Free lifetime maps (big savings) and lifetime traffic will pay back the cost for many commuters/heavy users. Another feature I didn't realize some of these newer units can have is a built-in forward dash cam with memory card. Besides the obvious recording ability, it also acts as a lane warning departure and collision avoidance warning (can be turned off too).

Plus, voice commands that work while you drive (VERY convenient) and bluetooth that links up to a phone for hands free calls, etc., plus much more makes this is one heck of a unit and a tremendous bang for the buck (IMO). Really nice for older cars, as a gift, or rental cars, etc. The wife won't give it back so I just ordered another one. Two thumbs up! (y)(y)

Another driving aid we now use with a new driver in the family is a cellphone control device. HIGHLY recommended especially for younger generations who seem to have their phones glued to their hands. Tech wise, there are a few different ways to handle this but I chose to go with a hardware/software solution: Texting and Distracted Driving Solutions | Driver Safety and it has been working great! Tracking, trip reports, txt/email notices to administrators (AKA parents), and a subscription based service that can be cancelled or move to another driver at any time. Admin can allow access to non-texting apps like maps or streaming music and yes phone calls. :)

Trip reports are graded stringently and achieving a 100% driving score would take near hypermiling levels of slowness. ;) It mounts to the windshield behind the mirror with 3M sticky tape and is solar powered so no wires or other physical connections to run down the 12v. Load app on drivers phone, pair to control unit via bluetooth. Done. Screenshots of driving report below.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 3.33.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 3.32.08 PM.png

#1 fotomoto, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Mark57, RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent post.

Anyone reading this should be aware that the designation "DriveAssist" is critical in the discussion.

I HAVE a 50LMT that is a couple of years old and it has NONE of those nice fancy features.
    A very capable basic GPS but nothing like what is described here.

Can't believe that Garmin did this with their model numbers.

scona, RCO and fotomoto like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Good point. Another thing just came to mind, the 5 inch model are more than sufficient screen size wise. In fact, I'd think the 6 and 7 inch models would obstruct too much view.

RCO likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have long suspected that Garmin and similar companies could solve these problems very easily. Sad to say, they do not have a standard interface to cars that would allow them to handle dynamic cruise control and lane keep assist.

Bob Wilson

RCO and LasVegasaurusRex like this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That depends on exactly where you mount them.
    I like to keep mine OFF the windshield whenever possible because of sun glare.

scona likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, my ancient (sort of) TomTom 950 Go Live with lapsed map updates and lapsed live traffic information still has voice activation and hands free calling operating. It did have Google search engine on board till TT replaced it with their own inferior option.

Having compared TomTom, Garmin and smartphones for navigation I am persuaded that the smartphone variety is superior in most respects for me. That's largely thanks to 'Hello Google' and Waze navigation, tho Google Maps is pretty good for navigation without too many spurious announcements.

Oh, did I mention that apart from the cost of the phone, they're all free! :sneaky:(y)

7. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the 7" Garmin Nuvi 2797 in all three of our vehicles on trips and it is not too large. Sure if you stick it right in front of your face, but I use it with their sandbag mount off center to the left. No view obstructed. Now if someone was 4 foot 9, that's different.;)

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you Mark, when I used an 8 inch tablet as a nav screen everything was easy to see with a brief glance, whereas in a 5 inch screen I had to look at the screen slightly longer to find the details. I braced my tablet on a rubberised, flexible wire spider on the steering column and it sat below my line of sight ahead but remained visible through the steering wheel.

Mark57 likes this.
  9. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a smaller 4.3" Garmin Nuvi 255W as well. At the zoom level at which you can see street names, I can only see about 1/3 mile ahead. At that same zoom level on the 7" Garmin 2797, I can see at least 1.5 miles ahead with all the same level of detail. It's not about ability to see, but ability to display needed details far enough ahead.

Before the old Garmin, I used to use Street Atlas USA on a 14" laptop mounted in my 4Runner. The 7" Garmin is better in every way.

If I could get the in dash nav to do sequential POI routing, like the Garmin, I'd use it more. Pipe dream.

RCO likes this.