1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving differently for best fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dripps, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Does anyone just DRIVE this car without looking at the display and watching the fuel consumption? I was thinking about this the other day. Although I don't have my Prius yet we do have the Lexus RX440h (their hybrid SUV). Whenever I drive it I definately drive differently, always being conscious of the coasting and preparing for road ahead. I liken it to driving like I have an egg under my gas pedal foot or like when I ride my bike. I see a hill ahead I allow the car to build up speed on the downhill to let momentum take me up, etc. When I test drove the Prius it was the same thing.

I was driving my other car yesterday and although I do have display which will show me instantaneous fuel consumption estimates I rarely looked at it. So, switching to that display I drove more consious of it. Again, I was driving smarter for better fuel economy. Now why didn't I always do this?

So my question is...will this feeling wear off after owning the Prius for a while? How much difference does it make in the long run to adding MPG? How do YOU drive?

2. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive more purposefully since I got the prius. Lowered my cruise speed on the highway to go with the flow instead of passing everyone. Driving intelligently isn't a burden; it's natural now.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    after 20,000 miles, i am not as mesmerized gy the display as i once was. but that is not because i want to know what the car is doing. i think its because of the CANVIEW i have. have had it 2 months or so... already have had 3 updates for it, the last one was HUGE... great improvement.

at $200 (more or less, dont remember the exact amount) plus 50 for the flash. its becoming one of the best bargains i have bought for my Prius. as the product progresses and becomes available for more types of Priuses, i would have to say its a must buy for anyone who truly wants to understand what their car is doing

4. CincinnatiHybrid

CincinnatiHybrid New Member

I've noticed that my driving style has changed pretty significantly in the 8 months I've had my Prius. Having the instant feedback has been key, as it tells you if you want to floor it to unecessarily pass someone because they are only going the speed limit, that you'll be paying for that $$$ later.

I think I look at the display less now than I did in the first few months though. I've got a good enough feel and hearing of the engine to know when I'm being efficient and not.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard this one or not...but my buddy at work told me that he saw somewhere where a Honda Insight owner was fed up with getting dirty looks from road raging drivers for not speeding. So, he riggs up a device that projected his current MPG onto his back windshield so the guy driving passing him in the SUV could see what kind of Mileage he was getting. Pretty neat if you ask me.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I use the Energy Monitor with the instant reading. The reason is, I'm cruising along a road at a set accelerator pedal angle and set speed (no cruise control) and the monitor reads say 5.2L/100km. If I lift up ever so slightly, I see that I can still maintain speed but the mileage drops to 4.7L/100km so I've gained 0.5L/100km right there.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is so cool!! I would totally pay for something like that!!
    My Prius has taught me to be a better driver overall. I don't look at the screens so much anymore and I am just at 6600 and 5 months. My foot has become light and very effective. I am one with the car...... :lol:

7. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

No, I don't think that trying to maximize your gas mileage (since you have the tools to do it) wears off. You'll still be looking at the MFD, more to verify what you're feeling, or if you're wondering why you can't get the car into "electric-only" mode, or whatever, but over the long term it is still fun to see how high gas mileage you can achieve. And the easiest way to track that is to see what the MFD has to say.

There's also the "health of the car" issue, verifying that everything is working okay.

-Roger

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there was a link posted here about signs that are programmable that run about $250 or so. check with your local laws. those signs are illegal on cars in some states. most consider it a dangerous distraction

9. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I see it that new drivers will "find" that b watching their consumption screen they will learn how much gas they waste by some of their habits. Once they modify ntheir driving style, they will no lnger get a great deal of benefit with watching the consumption screens. Satisfaction-yes.

The good part is that this driving style will help them in non-hybrid cars as well.