1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving for Economy Tips, Please!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Brian, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I received my Prius on Monday. I am not getting the best mpg right now. It is currently at 37.6. I only have 95 miles on the car and the second fuel level indicator light is out. I just need some tips on how to get the mpg up there in the high 40's. I need some help here.
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

just wait...

It will change...it almost feels alive and moves around depending on temperature, elevation, driving style, etc.

Also, I've noted that somtimes when i fill up the tank and take the mileage by hand I'm getting more than what the computer says, sometimes it is less. I think it has to do more with how I fill it up.

I was worried at first, but it will go away soon. Besides, 37.6 is still better than many cars out on the road AND you are releasing much less emissions than many other cars out there as well.

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks xlarimer, I guess your right. Thanks for the enlightenment. I am not going to be worried anymore. I have a question, when it gets warmed up, I am VERY easily able to keep it in stealth up to about 40 mph and able to substain this for a while. Is it a good thing to do that, with respect to fuel economy?
    Thanks,
    Brian

4. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian:
    When I first rented a Prius for two weeks while my Honda was being repaired, I found using the cruise control, even in city traffic, made huge improvements in MPG. The accelerator, which is electronic, not mechanical, is very sensitive. It helped improve my driving patterns, etc. I went from 35-37 to 50-52 MPG almost overnight.

5. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

Brian -

Here are a couple of suggestions for getting the most economy:

1) Use moderate accelaration to get up to speed and then back off the pedal. Sometimes you have to completely remove pressure from the pedal and then resume light pressure to maintain speed. This is usually how you can get in to stealth once you are at speed.

2) Anticipate stops and, if possible, slowly brake for as long as you can. Sometimes traffic won't allow for this (especially if you have someone on your rear)

3) Combine your trips so you are driving at least 10 or so miles at a time. Short trips will reduce your economy, especially in colder weather.

4) Tire pressure at 42 front, 40 rear. This is recommended by many of the "experts" in the Prius community.

Hope this helps. It seems to work for me (current tank has 634 miles, averaging 60.0 MPG in combination city/highway driving).

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

Re the accel. being touchy, and cruise -

I wholeheartedly agree. When you have a chance when your driving conditions are near ideal (ie, a chance to glance down at the screen without worry of other traffic), take a mental note of what your 'current' mpg is, then lightly let back on the accel (or push forward) just ever so slightly - the accel. will barely move, and you should notice that even with the ICE on, your mileage might jump from mid 30s to mid 50s or higher.

When I accel. from a stop (light or sign), as long as traffic is cooperating, I try keeping it in stealth til about 12mph, then the engine will usually kick in. When it does, give it a bit of a punch, and try to get up to 'cruising' speed as fast as possible - while this will push the ICE harder, it will push it for less time, giving you better mileage overall.

And no matter what you do, if your trips are short, as mentioned above and elsewhere, your mileage will be lower than anyone who drives for long distances/times. Truly you'll find this car can easily make you a better and more aware driver, even if you knew nothing about cars beforehand.

-m.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I probably need to put this in the FAQs as it's asked so often, but let me list some of the big things to do to improve your mileage:

1)Be patient. There is a signficant break in period for the car (engine, bearings, perhaps even some computer 'learning'). Also, there is a break in period for the driver. You have to get used to the feel of the engine, when it's over reving, under reving, etc. Your anticipatory driving and braking skills will improve.

2)If you are enjoying relatively moderate climates turn your AC to OFF. To keep a 'vent' on do the following. Push the Climate button on the MFD (multi-function display (the monitor)), if the AC button is lit, turn it off. Now push down on the temp setting until you hit MAX COLD. If the AC turns back on, turn it off again. Now, you can touch one of the fan speed buttons..I rarely need anything stronger than the second or third button from the left unless the car is really warm from sitting in the sun. I saw an almost 4mpg immediate improvement in gas mileage by not leaving the AC on all the time. Of course, if it's really hot or really cold and you need to use the AC, then, by all means, do so. Also, avoid the defrost buttons as much as possible, they really chew up power.

3)Consider adjusting your tire pressure to something in the range of 40F/38R (I use 42F/40R, others go as high as 44F/42R). I find that it improves handling and there is some evidence to suggest improved mileage and longer tire wear. This is a bit controversial (see the current thread), but it works for me and many others.

4)Drive casually--Look ahead, is the light likely to change to red before you get to it? If so, start coasting or breaking as soon as you see that. Your ICE will shut off sooner, you'll begin regenerative braking sooner, you'll reduce hard braking which can wear your friction brakes faster. Don't gun-it to pass people, don't drive in the fast lane. Try to avoid situations where you need to accelerate quickly for lane changes.

5)If where you live is relatively flat or you have extended areas that are pretty flat, use the Cruise Control. It helps avoid fluctuations in speed that can use more fuel. If you're in a hilly area it can be much better to AVOID CC--don't try to maintain speed over hill crests, just coast over them and let gravity assist you to regain speed on the downhill. Now, don't take this advice to any extreme, but often I find that as I'm approaching the crest of a hill, the ICE will have to really rev up to maintain 45mph, whereas if I take my foot off and 'feather' (see below) the accelerator I can hear the ICE actually shut off, and I can still maintain up to about 42-43 MPH, hardly any drop at all and I used no gas. I can then, often, pick up speed again on the downhill side while still coasting. This takes practice and a bit of a learned touch to avoid pissing off everyone behind you, but in the right situation and with practice becomes very natural.

6)Achieving Stealth is not, necessarily, a good thing. It is less efficient to use the battery, in most cases than the ICE assuming all the power from the ICE is being used for accelerating/powering the wheels. There is some loss of energy inherent in the transfer from ICE to batt. to wheels. That said, at times where the ICE would otherwise be running inefficiently (low RPM, excess energy going to the battery) then Stealth may be the best situation.

7)Another situation is coasting. If you take your foot totally off the gas while watching the energy screen you'll notice some regeneration going on and slowing of the car. That's fine if you want to coast to a stop over a distance, but one can also learn to 'feather' the pedal to coast. Let your foot totally off the pedal briefly, then very gently touch it back down until you see all arrows disappear on the Energy screen. You'll notice that you do not slow nearly as fast as with the foot totally off, you're using no energy and the only thing slowing you is internal friction in the car and the air friction acting on your 0.26Cd car. You can coast a good long way with very little loss of speed. This is another good plan when you have a long way to a light that you know you may need to stop at but don't want to start braking yet.

8)Switching to synthetic oil may gain you a tiny improvement--most likely not enough to justify the cost of the oil over mineral oil. There is a tiny added environmental benefit to synthetic. There may be some improved engine life if you plan to drive your Prius for 350k miles plus. I use it, more or less b/c of the environmental thing and b/c it seems like the most technologically advanced product for my most technologically advanced car.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Be patient, drive casually, await warmer weather.

8. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, Will take all of those things into advantage over the weekend and hopefully I can see some improvements.
    Thanks
    Brian

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I inflated the tires to 42/40 psi (it was set at 35/33 before) and went to the grocery store, only a short ~5 miles away and when I got home, my mpg were up 1.7 mpg. I think that with more practice and the tires up to 42/40 it will definitly improve. Thanks
    Brian

10. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Evan,
    I think you should definitely put that reply in the knowledge base or faq.

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to an NY Times article, which is a followup to the article a few days ago about the Prius, the author states that he is getting average fuel mileage in the high 40's and that seems to be the norm. There was another post somewhere about how the EPA has jogged the figures on all cars so that none of them are getting posted mileage because of flawed methodolgy on the part of EPA.
    Because the Prius has instant and constant MPG readouts, we are getting actual information from our cars whereas the rest of the public is not. My average mpg has been between 45 and 49, mixed driving. While not quite as stellar as the EPA mileage says, it is still quite astounding.
    If people question you about how come you aren't getting the posted mileage, you can respond that no one else is either regardless of what they drive.
    B
    p.s. I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who has gotten over 50 on a regular basis and who might have even topped 60. I hit 74 on a short 15 mile trip home, but have not been able to duplicate that feat.

12. jchu

jchu New Member

I just posted this in another prius chat forum but just to reiterate, my wife was able to top 60 MPG by the computer on her commute home from Boise, ID. Ironically, (not really) it was traffic jam driving most of the way. Understand though that Idaho traffic jams are not New York traffic jams. I grew up with the latter.

In this area recently by the computer we are routinely getting in excess of 50 MPG. Can't tell you if that still holds when doing the actual miles logged vs. gas bought. The numbers are written down, just haven't gotten around to crunching the numbers.

Jon

13. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My new silver bubble is one week old and now has 1500 miles on it. My mileage has improved from 45 to 51 MPG The current tank has 200 miles on it at 51 MPG in mixed driving. 75 mph kills MPG. Yesterday I picked someone up from the airport and had to circle for 20 minutes. Only had to stop twice while ranging between 15 and 45 mph. For this period, I averaged about 80 MPG and added two bars to my SOC. It kinda makes me want to drive home at 30. While stuck in traffic the other day, I filled up and then went 7 miles at well over 100 MPG but lost four bars on my SOC. I say well over 100 because I then drove like a maniac for a while to show a freind how much acceleration she has to offer and it took a while for the average to drop below 100. After it did, the drop was fairly rapid. Makes me wish the meter would register over 100. This car loves to drive slow. In my old F150('99) driving slow had little effect. I feel empowered by this car to be able to affect my mileage by adjusting my habits. It also loves rolling hills where I can goose it up the hills and coast on the other side. Keep her under 65 and she just sips the petrol.
    All for now,
    Ray

14. jasond

jasond New Member

Temperature seems to make a big difference too (though I changed another variable at the same time -- tire pressure -- so it's hard to be sure what the cause is).

I just hit 50.6 mpg on this tank of gas (350 miles or so). That's the first time I've had an entire tank over 50 mpg, and it's also the first tank where there have been multiple days above 50 degrees.

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Ditto.

16. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll add one here that seems to have been missed:

Slow down. Driving the speed limit, instead of 10 to 15 over makes a big difference. You'll probably find that you have a better time with hitting lights green instead of red. The time saved by speeding is next to nil.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok,
    I'll try to rewrite and add the post to the FAQs, by popular request.

Second, Bob said he wanted to hear from someone getting over 50mpg consistantly.

My previous 3 tanks were all over 50mpg even with temps averaging in the 40s and 50s. This current tank shows 56.8 mpg 360 miles into the tank...I actually improved it this morning from 56.6 mpg to 56.8 despite 42 degree temps and only a 25 minute commute!!

I'm doing a lot more feathering of the pedal and aiming for the no arrows on the energy screen. And following all my other suggestions in the post above. I MAY never see a tank less than 50mpg (except for high speed interstate and or very cold weather). This car rocks, and I've not even had the chance to drive in truely warm weather yet.

18. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am now on my second tank, right now it is at 41.2mpg. I really hope to keep it in the 40's this time. It should help!

19. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

This seems kind of low, Brian. But given the driving conditions in S. Cal you may have no choice but to accelerate and break hard. Your average temperatures should not be a factor in the low numbers. Is it the driving (traffic) conditions?

20. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is high compared to my last tank.