Driving in "B" Mode Regularly

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by stevepea, May 25, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, in B mode, you can’t activate cruise control.

iPhone ? Pro

Bob Comer likes this.
  2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Regarding EV Auto:

I’ve never tried EV Auto yet, since I bought the car in May. In my view, it would have been much more interesting if it were defined as, more or less, “EV below 50MPH, and HV above.” That, rather than “fire up the engine for acceleration assistance.”

As I read it, over-simplifying a lot, HV mode uses the ICE for purposes: long, sustained power at medium-to-high speeds, and acceleration force when you trounce on the accelerator, and tries to use the MGs elsewhere. EV Auto seems to add the ICE for what I perceive as exactly the wrong one of those two uses: I’d prefer it kick in the ICE for long, sustained, high-speed power where it’s the most efficient, an never gunning up the engine in low gear, which is exactly where it’s the least efficient.

Regarding B Mode, this is one area where Tesla, BMW, GM, and Nissan are being *a whole lot* more innovative than Toyota:

I definitely do feel a little more regenerative braking in EV B mode than “D”rive mode, but it’s not as big a difference as I’d like.

Teslas work like EV B Mode, but with *a lot* more additional regeneration. The gen-2 LEAF has an “e-pedal” option that I gather is more or less patterned after BMW’s: Basically Tesla taken to an even greater extreme — it will not only just *slow down a lot* as you take your foot off the accelerator, but in fact will *take it to a complete stop* after it slows down enough. With a Tesla, you still finally have to hit the brake to get it to completely stop, but not with an e-pedal. I gather the e-pedal is superb for stop and go traffic! The Bolt and gen-2 Volt have a “regeneration paddle” on the back of the steering wheel, each press of which will progressively dial in more regeneration, until the car comes to a complete stop.

iPhone ? Pro

3. rsl360

rsl360 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Might work in EV mode, but is definitely bad in HV mode. (which I know you kind of said.) With the car fully warmed up, no charge in the EV porttion of the battery, I did two four mile loops, one in regular HV, one in HV in "B" gear. In regular mode I got 62 mpg. In B gear, I got 53 mpg.

4. stevepea

stevepea Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah, as I said, don't use "B" mode (except for its intended purpose of going down a steep grade) in "HV" mode, but it certainly works great in EV mode..