1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving in B Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bestmapman, Jul 25, 2021.

1. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have been reading a lot about the Chevy bolt and it has one pedal driving I was wondering if anyone here uses our B Mode as a poor man’s one pedal drive.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right here on priuschat I've read about at least one other person doing that.

Keep in mind that decelerating in B mode never illuminates the stop lamps on the back of the car.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't, but i drive so slow, and leave so much room between me and the car in front, that normal regen is usually enough except when coming to a stop.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I am on a route where one-pedal-ish driving would be convenient, sometimes I do it in D by setting the cruise control at its lowest (25 mph) setting, then using the go pedal to drive faster.

The one thing that has to be remembered is it stops being one-pedal-ish once the speed drops to 25. :)

Also, any use of the brake while cruise is on has two effects. First, as all know, it cancels the cruise setting. Second, the car always interprets it as exigent, and goes straight to four-wheel hydraulic braking, skipping any further regen for that braking event. That ends up being ok with me, because often when I am doing that style of driving, it is on a curvy road, and I don't mind having four-wheel control one pedal touch away.

To make a non-exigent brake event, can just pull the cruise stalk to cancel, then brake.