1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving in snow with plastic under engine 2010

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by craigf, Dec 25, 2012.

1. craigf

craigf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a quick question for I bite the bullet and go to shop.

Saturday after driving in snow started to hear scraping noises under car.. figured it was tires hit ice in wheel well. Checked it out and not that at all..

Looking under car found a clog of snow and ice in center of engine hanging down. This am after driving yesterday for a couple hours it is gone but see now a pc of plastic hanging straight down from center. Question,, Never have seen that before so not sure if its suppose to be flush under there or is it drainage or air vent escape. First time in snow with car as we live in Ga. Oh why am I in NYS

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same thing happened to me last year. The Toyota mechanic just ripped it off and said the whole platic piece is worthless and don't worry about it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ If the mechanic that ripped it off is the same one that did your oil changes, he's likely responsible for it's demise. The plastic Toyota spec'd. is too hard/thin for the hinged flap design. It does not want to bend, and each time it does get bent back it stresses/cracks.

Intact, the panel improves aerodynamics, and helps keep heat in the engine bay.