1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving in snow

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by bob2004, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The seconds rule is dead-simple though, works at any speed. How many seconds is up to you.

Again, can't remember the last time I invoked it. Seems everyone's in a hurry, swerving to get by me on appointments with destiny or summat.

fuzzy1 and GreenJuice like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With typical modern car lengths of about 15 feet, the 'whole car length for every 10 mph' rule leads to a following distance of almost exactly 1 second.

That car-length rule doesn't leave more space than the '2 second' rule unless your car is longer than 29 feet 4 inches.

When I brought the 2 Second rule home from driver education, dad was shocked about following that close. He insisted on more space, specifically that 'one car length for every 10 mph' standard. If took a while to prove to him that his rule left less room, not more.

#42 fuzzy1, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Empty car park and a measuring tape.

RCO likes this.
  4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting old post, so Mendel, the Canadians are now driving almost as bad as the Americans. The younger generations seem to have no respect on following distances. I think both rules are good and safe, the 2 second rule is easier to do while driving. The fist car with auto braking and it seems to employ the car length rule, I love it as it's one extra tool to safe driving. Now the person that rushs up to red lights and stop signs will probably never use it. His price to pay!

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I fear you have vastly overestimated the size of our car parks and possibly the size of the UK. Like most of the people trying to get in!:eek::ROFLMAO:

6. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great video!
    I have steeper hills here, but still feel far more confident now if we get caught in the snow.