1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving in snow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"106720)</div>
    Actually, summer is the best time to discuss driving in snow. For those of us who live in a four-season climate, it's best to plan ahead. Owning a Prius is perfect example of forward planning. I'd hate like heck to have to worry about getting snow tires during the first snow and all the snow tires are sold out. Thanks for all the input, guys, I love being prepared.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An awd Prius would be kinda cool! If only Toyota dealers could offer winter tyres on steel rims at the dealer rather than having to go to Costco or Canadian Tire to buy a set. It'll probably be easier since there's no differential, just an extra electric motor and the associated parts needed.

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

What sort of gas mileage penalty would you guys say steel wheels and snow tires cost you, if you have a basis of alloy wheels and regular tires in the winter to compare against.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good question.

It was already hovering around 0 F when I finally got my winter tires and steel wheels. Around the city I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy, at speeds up to 70 km/h

At Trans Canada speeds of 100 km/h, at temps of 0 F to -10 F, my MFD claimed 5.6 l/100km instead of 5.3 l/100km with the Michelin Harmony "all-season" on the factory wheels.

To translate, that means with the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 on steel wheels, I was getting around 50.4 MPG Imperial gallon. With the Michelin Harmony on the factory aluminum wheels a couple of days before the swap, I was getting 53.3 MPG Imperial gallon. Call it 3 MPG highway, no difference city.

Since I spend at least 95% of the time in the city at speeds 70 km/h or slower, that was a perfectly acceptable trade-off. I feel the much improved traction, thus much better personal safety/security, more than made up for it.