1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving in the first snow storm in CO

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Blackat, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Bobo99

Bobo99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Up here in Canada, I find the heated seats useful when it's very cold, but I only use them in the first 5-10 minutes of a trip, because they warm up faster than the air in the cabin. Once the cabin is warm, I turn the heated seats off. Yes, it helps a lot with an aching back even with a thick coat on.

As for the heated steering wheel, I rarely use it. As other have pointed out, when it's very cold you need gloves anyway so there's no point to have it on (it won't make a difference). While if you don't wear gloves and it's very cold, the heated wheel only heats up my palm, while the back of my hand still feels cold. Not to mention that the wheel only heats up in two small spots, and when making turns you still have to touch the cold spots. Just not a useful feature (to me).

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you viewing on a phone? If so, if you turn it landscape, the avatar will show car info.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's been a long time since I edited actual film, but I like to wear film editing gloves for the coldest driving days.

Very thin, so you maintain excellent tactile feel of your controls and materials. But even just that tiny bit of insulation helps a lot, particularly when you have air moving around for the defroster.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll start with gloves when it is cold enough. A heated steering wheel just lets me take them off sooner.

Prefer mittens when it is actually cold. Lets the fingers warm their neighbors.

5. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The heated mirror switch is on the HVAC area. Both the Rear Defroster and the mirrors come on with that button.

6. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Many times when I leave my house in Fraser, CO it's -20*
    Yeah, I like the heated wheel and seats

douglasjre and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  7. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Heck, it’s nowhere near as cold here in PA as CO…

Yet I have been using the heated steering wheel and seats for the last few weeks almost daily, at least for some of my commute until I warm up :D love it! Plus, it feels good if you ever have a sore back.

douglasjre and Blackat like this.