1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving modes and active cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Frolix, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a lot of discussion around the power, normal and eco modes and what they really do but this is have not seen mentioned:
    When using the active cruise control, the acceleration is heavily influenced by the driving mode, with as you could expect eco being more relaxed and power going full steam ahead whenever possible.

jbkendrick, bhtooefr and krmcg like this.
  2. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now, I wonder if that's just active cruise, or the passive system used on lower trim levels.

Guess it's time to play with a smartphone acceleration analyzer and do something like 30-50 MPH runs on back roads with the different driving modes.

3. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The difference is very obvious, no need for acceleration analyzer... Just press the mode button and hear the car roar (or whine...)

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Orskip the button, just press the accelerator a little farther and hear exactly the same roar.

Valiant V likes this.
  5. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too discovered that the drcc was influenced when accelerating back to speed by drive mode. In eco mode it is slow to resume speed as the car in front pulls away, and not wanting to upset those behind I was switching to normal. After a while I determined it's just easier to press the accelerator to get back to speed a bit more quickly and then just release when back at set speed leaving drive mode in eco. J