1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

driving passion

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by TxMan, Jul 10, 2012.

1. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    today I had one of those moments that reminds me why I love driving.

for those of you that live in central texas, you know-it rained cats and dogs here.

earlier today I pulled a trailer from my friends house to the rental place, and put my diff into low range...afterwords, we went to dinner. I drop him off at his house afterwords, and drive home. it was only like 10 miles, but oh god, it was the best 10 miles ever.

in high range (2.10:1) I launch from a stop (when trying to be aggressive) with about 30% throttle. at around 45% or so, it will break the tires loose. in low range, 30% throttle will break them loose. when its wet, 10% throttle will break them loose.

anyway, I slid the whole way home, in low, and it was glorious

RWD+wet roads+torque=SO MUCH FUN

I bet a hearse drifting down a road got some strange looks, but I'd imagine they weren't negative.

also, this car is perfect for this kind of exhibition driving, lone wheel base, good steering communication, good brake communication, and I'd imagine the thousand-pound toolbox in the back probably gives me close to a 50/5o weight distribution, probably heavier in the back.

anyway, so much win in one moment, I had to share.

anyone have any crazy awesome driving stories?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I only dream about flying, never driving. Taking the plane up into sky and away from everything on the ground that is my relief. Everything else gets 'put on hold' as I'm fully involved with flight and the inexhaustible beauty above and away from the ground haze, heat, and traffic. To be truly alone, dependent only on your wits, training, and living the physics of the moment . . . that is joy.

Taking off, maximum power and minimum drag to claw your way into the sky. Lifting off at 65 mph and climbing at 85 mph knowing you are already exceeding the posted speed limits. Taking advantage of thermals to double your rate of climb. Lower the nose and still going up like a soul to heaven while seeing the whole of the earth below you and turning to your course heading. Then reaching the haze layer and the smooth cool air where the clouds reign. Yet the whole time, you scan the earth for the field you'll land in if the engine quits.

You fly long distances not just to get there but to stretch out the joy. Lowering the nose at the most comfortable altitude, the engine noise is complemented by the wind whooshing past the canopy. Then there is the fine art correcting the course, dealing with the winds aloft, to arrive at your destination while tweaking the engine and cowl flaps to achieve peak efficiency. Occasionally, if you want to hear a human voice, call air traffic control for the cryptic, efficient speech of professionals . . . and every now and then the joy of a strong tail wind and ATC asking, "Say again type of aircraft?" Meanwhile, your ground scan now looks at a bigger patch of earth still thinking,"I could land there."

Even before seeing the destination airfield, beginning the descent. Adjusting the airspeed for the conditions and playing "peek-a-boo" with the ground points laid out by the chart. Looking for other planes, not for companionship as much as letting them enjoy their flight too and adjusting course so we're all having our private fun. Then the airport comes into view.

If you played the descent right, you are at pattern altitude, pattern power, and approaching maneuvering speed. The controls previously heavy in cruise become lighter and the plane more responsive. Eyes out-side, you enter the pattern and configure to land. Other traffic is just another way-point to extend the downwind. Turning base, reduce the power even more and control your descent looking for the power lines, fence or the jerk who doesn't see anyone else.

Turning final, you line up with the runway and do your final checklist. Again, eyes outside as you jockey the flight path. You win the landing game if you don't have to apply power before reaching the threshold. Hold it off, a little longer, let it float until finally the wheels touch the runway. Even so, keep her pointed down the runway and brake only as needed until you can make a turn-off.

Bob Wilson

ps. Night flight is even better.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I usually take a nap after supper and get up around midnight. When the dogs get a little hyper, my wife puts the leashes on them and I drive them to a large shopping center, an over-sized strip mall in Jones Valley. I walk the parking lot, easily just under two miles with the dogs 'off leash' so they get to pee, poop, and sniff and run-down their energy. But on the way home tonight, as I often do, I took the long way home.

The Jones Valley road goes down to the end of the ridge, about four miles, and curves around to the road home on the home side of the ridge. A quiet ride without significant traffic and few lights, I set the cruise control and play my left hand in the flow of warm, humid, night air scented by the occasional magnolia and honeysuckle. Little or no traffic and the lights mostly in sync, it is a quiet time behind the wheel with my thoughts . . . like these.

One of the things a 52 MPG Prius means is we can afford to drive just for the fun, the pleasure of the drive itself. Freed from fuel costs, we can just drive for the h*ll of it. So when I read someone was 'shocked to be passed by a Prius' I know that driver, like me, feels free from fuel costs that limit those still on a short petro-leash.

When I was a college student in Oklahoma and gas was $.35/gal, we thought nothing about driving 100 miles to pickup something in the nearest, all-night store. Beverages were more expensive than gasoline. But it is a lot harder to justify driving for a $3 gallon of milk if it cost a couple of gallons of gas.

Bob Wilson

ftl likes this.