1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving past zero miles remaining

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by EazyPeazy, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Affirmative. And mudslides. And airplane crashes..... This one from yesterday on one of the busiest freeways. A restored vintage World War II era German plane. (Only in LA!)

IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0591.JPG

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Famous Last Words.
    Bob Wilson, one of our local Mr. Curious Guys, has run out intentionally many times as part of his technical investigations into other matters. He performed the best low fuel range tests for the Gen3, and I believe he later did something similar on the Prime. Use the Search feature to find it.

But beware the short term fuel consumption is much more highly variable than most people realize. Bob's tests are a single trip on an already warmed engine, in essentially ideal conditions. People who try to achieve similar distances in more typical conditions, with higher speeds, hills, multiple short segments and repeated engine warmup cycles, will discover shorter distances possible. We call them 'stranded along the road'.

That certainly is a crime wave everywhere I have lived. Where I grew up, two rolled in the same year would be a concern.
    Of course! Those who travel armed in his neck of the woods get three-hots-and-a-cot, but no internet access to post their experiences here.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stephen King would have a field day with that: some Dark Tower alternate universe plane slipped through a time warp.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Phrase that pays: FOPA
    Although "peaceable journey' works for most....

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical LA....
    Even German World War II era planes that crash on the 101 are 'fake'.....
    :p

6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Drive your car as long as you want after it registers 0 miles left.
    You will enter a heretofore unpublished mode known as "Virtual Mileage Mode" or VMM.
    Instead of burning REAL fuel you are burning VIRTUAL fuel which is only limited by
    the size of the VMMPSF (Virtual Mileage Mode Page/Swap File) which is in a secret location only
    known by Toyota engineers and revealed to me during my tour of the Japanese assembly plant.
    The VMM works best in deserts, deserted rural roads late at night, dangerous neighborhoods and
    the like.
    Drive your heart out. Enjoy this marvelous feature of your Prius Prime.

burnout8488 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I also frequently travel or hike armed, reciprocity limits constrain this practice, both to the north and south. I get reciprocity only to the east.

In particular, on the way from my place towards Mendel's neck of the woods, FOPA ends at this grass median about 20 miles south of his place:
    boundary road.JPG
    FOPA does apply on the pavement to the left of this grass median, E. Boundary Road (Google's label is misplaced), but not on the right side pavement, 0 Avenue.

Phrase that pays here: national sovereignty.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Gasoline cools and lubricates the fuel pump. I never let the level drop below 1/4 tank.