1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving Polarized Sunglasses, Do They Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NYPrius1, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would add Smith Action Optics to the list and have been using them for over a decade. Great for having one pair of glasses for driving, fly fishing and all around wear. I also have a pair of Maui Jim's that I just sent in for repair after the frame broke while putting them on in cold weather. The jagged broken part next to the lens snapped back and very nearly scratched the surface of my eye. I've also notice a slight loss of acuity compared to the Smiths. (I don't work for either of these folks.)

What a lot of folks don't realize is that good polarized sunglasses can also be beneficial on hazy or overcast days depending on the tint. I have never felt that my vision or safety was compromised in any way.

The most noticeable and immediate effect you will see with polarized shades is that the dash glare reflecting up into that gigantic Pruis windshield disappears.

Good luck with your search, but a quality brand and try before you buy.

2. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I broke the bank on a really nice pair of Oakley's about 6 - 7 years ago and still wear them daily. No issues with visibility of the MFD, speedo, clock or anything; cell-phone screens sometimes appear black or rainbow-tinted though. I notice a huge difference when it gets really hazy, and I find that I am able to see through other people's windshields / windows better too, this helps me to see cars braking further ahead and adjust my following distance accordingly.

3. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The pair I like is the Oakley Sunglasses POLARIZED NANOWIRE 2.0.
    They sell for 300.00 everywhere. They have a all kinds of things it does to light.
    Oakley Nanowire 2.0 Polarized (Polished Black/Vr28 Blk Irid Polarized Lens) - Polarized
    This link might help. Looks like I will go with these.:cool:

4. lakedog

lakedog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Third for Maui Jims Bought a pair at least 10 years ago, worked out to less than $16.00 per year. Great glasses.

Bought some other high dollar sun glasses last winter, can't see a darn thing with them on. Might be my eyes aging.

Still vote for Maui Jims.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I usually drive the Prius...

6. diversified

diversified Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fourth for Maui Jim sunglasses.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another vote for Maui Jim's. Put on a pair and feel your eyes relax like never before. Good ones like Maui Jim, Oakley, Serengetti, RayBan won't distort the displays in the Prius, and will cut dash glare. They aren't cheap, both worth every dollar, unless you lose things (like sunglasses) regularly.

Cheap sunglasses are bad for your eyes and cheap polarized ones are worse. They can actually mask things and distort depth perception.

Polarized glasses aren't ideal for Pilots and Professional Pilots for the above reasons and also because they create rainbow colors to appear in a jet's heated windshield.

8. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to wear RayBans when I wore contact lenses. Since I quit contacts, I now use el-cheapo Walmart clipons on my variable density glasses. Both the clipons and glasses are supposed to block UV. Only time I have trouble seeing speedo/MFD is when headlights are on and displays dim. I know you can turn the displays back up but its too much trouble. Worst time is for about 10 minutes in the morning when the sun is just rising over the Sandia Mountains. It's still dim enough I use the headlights so others can see me, but that sun is killer here at a mile high.

9. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use contact lenses only during tournaments due to bad dry eye, otherwise I wear glasses with a custom fit polarized clip-on. The amber color tent clip-on provides better color perception than the typical dark gray.

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a pair of polarized Revos that I really like and had polarized RayBans before that were also very good. Niether one distorted any displays in the Prius or the Lexus.

11. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd like to add that the mfd is brightest with my head level, if I tilt my head the display starts going away. Those who look at the mfd and can't see it unless they tilt, might have lenses that were manufactured wrong, with the polarization off 90 degrees.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm the type that loses expensive sunglasses within a week, but can somehow hang on to cheapies for about a year. so i don't bother wasting the money on expensive sunglasses.

windshield tint was cheaper than expensive sunglasses anyway :cool: even with the eye doc appointment to get the rx.

13. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is pretty much everyone's excuse for buying cheap sunglasses. The key to holding on to anything worth keeping is having a place for it at all times. Keys get put in a certain location, wallets get put in certain drawer, and the same should go for sunglasses. Have a routine and you will not lose them. If you do keep losing them because you set them down, get a set of "Croakies" to keep them around your neck.

I always wear sunglasses when it is sunny out, a habit from living in the high altitude/high UV rays of Colorado. If I am outside and I don't have my sunglasses on, I feel naked. If that doesn't remind me, then it is the headaches from squinting.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i can't even remember to bring my cell phone to work with me half the time (kept in the same place, on the charger, each night) and i lose sunglasses all the time (which generally just follow me around everywhere)... but i never misplace my keys. figure that one out :lol:

i just can't afford to go losing expensive things, it's a waste of money.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to have cheep sunglasses, until the first time I turned onto base leg for a landing with the sun in my eyes, and all of the instruments disappeared into a fog of scratches. I bought Ray Bans the next day. I still have the same pair 33 years later.

Tom

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like Jayman says, Revo are *great* sunglasses!

I had a pair for about 12 years. By far the best quality sunglasses I have ever worn. Nothing compares for quality of optics, eye protection, clarity or color definition.

I finally damaged the things while skiing and needed a replacement pair to salvage the rest of the day. The resort did not stock Revo, so I settled on a pair of Serengetti. They did the job, but I really missed the Revos.

Do yourself a favor. If you are in the market for a good (really good) pair of sunglasses, at least try on a pair of Revo.
    I was responsible for three pilots in my squadron purchasing Revos when I loaned mine to one pilot who forgot his sunglasses.
    REVO Sunglasses - Official Site

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrick

The only thing to remember is that because Revo's have glass optics, they should not be counted on for impact protection. For example, it's tempting for me to wear my Revo's when outside running the weed whipper.

Instead I put on a pair of industrial safety glasses, which have terrible optical quality. But they *are* rated for impact protection

In your line of work, you probably have to worry about coming into contact with POL's on the flight line, say near a fuel manifold or POL farm. Proper eye protection is important with any distillate, regular sunglasses won't help you much if jp8 squirts your way

Like you, I'm also responsible for 2-3 Revo sales, just by letting them try out my pair. Wonder if Revo/Luxotica will send me a check??

jay

18. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used to be in the "I won't buy expensive glasses because I keep losing good ones" camp but I am so dependent on sunglasses that I decided to invest in a moderately expensive pair of polarized Julbo glasses. I really like them and have held up well for a few years now. Having the sunglass holder in the Prius has been a huge help. I prefer plastic frames for durability (opposed to the frameless the OP is looking at). I also like the amber tint to gray. I have never had issues with the speedo displays or the MFD.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't bought a pair in many years, and haven't kept up on their line of goods, but I see on their web page that they now have a high impact "NXT" and shatterproof polycarbonate models . . .

not that I would have ever considered wearing Revos while doing some of the more hazardous flightline duties I HAD in my prior life . . . like servicing the liquid oxygen system :eek: . . . . or servicing the lavatories. :yuck: Full safety gear big time required!

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh god, LOX is dangerous to handle. Actually a lot of industrial cryogenic fluids are dangerous to handle, such as liquid N or liquid CO2. Very obvious danger of eye damage

Of course, LOX is also a very strong oxidizer.

Sounds like you had fun with fueling certain medium range and exoatmospheric missile systems