1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Big Steve, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the next few weeks we will be driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy (VA-NC)

What recommendations do you have for this "mountain" driving?

This will be a first for me in the Prius.

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cruise control holds the car at the set speed going down the hills. B mode does it too. Bring the camera and take lots of pics for us to see :)

Mike

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't like using cruise control on winding roads going downhill and prefer to gently adjust speed as I lead into and exit turns using my right foot.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have a wonderful trip!

I do not know that you will need B mode, but it will be hilly enough to try out B mode.

Swap drivers a lot so everyone can sight see without the driver taking his eyes off the road.

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Jimbo.

Not sure when/how/why to use "B".

We will stop often at overlooks, waterfalls etc. (plus how can I forget the "gift shop radar")

ChipL likes this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    B mode is engine braking like a big truck has a Jake brake. Works great at saving friction brakes once your battery is full from regen braking if you dont set the cruise to some speed to ease down the pass. Just put it into B mode once and keep your foot off the Go Pedal and you will see how it works. EZ :) Post some cool pics please.

Mike

7. prj

prj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    To control your speed on long downhills:
    1. Use cruise control. On downhills, it'll slow you down more than just letting your foot off the gas. But sometimes, on rolling roads, I don't like how it revs pretty hard to get back to the target speed.
    or
    2. If you ride your brakes just enough to stay within the CHG section of the display, you'll recharge the battery and not use the friction brakes at all. But eventually, you'll fill up the battery charge and the friction brakes will start to work instead, not good on a long downhill. And it's kind of a pain to press the brakes 'just enough'. So, on long downhills, shift into 'B' to control your speed--the same effect as downshifting a regular automatic. It pumps air through the engine, without using any gas, to slow the car.

Parkway ideas:

Get one of the free Parkway maps from a visitor center.

Most of the Parkway has easy grades, most under 5%, almost all less than 7%, and the speed limit is 45 mph. And no trucks. On weekdays, the traffic is very light.

At the 408 mile marker, the Pisgah Inn's restaurant has a fantastic view across the valley. It's informal and affordable.

All the visitor centers are worth a stop. There's a lot of short or long hikes off the Parkway--it's good to get out of the car, too.

Asheville NC is right off the parkway and has lots of restaurants.

Big Steve and ChipL like this.
  8. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prj, great post. You've obviously been there. We have done the Skyline Drive (north of I-64) years ago (15?). Now we will go south from I-64 to Asheville, thne probably head east and north on/to I-95. Unfortunately only three days this trip, would love to linger more.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On mountains I get ~49mpg. Enjoy the downsides.

10. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just recently drove from Cherokee N.C. to Hendersonville N.C.on the Blueridge Parkway in late May. Got 51 mpg.did not like using CC but did use (B) mode and it worked fine.Lots of tunnels.Great fun... IMG_0902.JPG

GCPExit12 likes this.
  11. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well the trip begins tomorrow, three days, Richmond to BRP to Asheville NC then back directly to Richmond. New car, new camera P510. Stoked!

ChipL likes this.
  12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After this trip ask the wife for the Plus Package for awesome handling on your next mountain trip [​IMG]

Safe travels,
    Mike [​IMG]

13. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been wanting to do this drive for years! It sure looks beautiful out there, have a good trip!

While I have you HSD veterans' attention, I'm a little confused about "B" mode. I've been reading the 2012 manual like a bible and on page 39 I found:

Regenerative Braking

In the following situations, kinetic energy is converted to electric energy and deceleration force can be obtained in conjunction with the recharging of the hybrid battery (traction battery):

- The accelerator pedal is released while driving with the shift position in D or B.
    - The brake pedal is depressed while driving with the shift position in D or B.

I guess my question is could Toyota have changed how the vehicle behaves in B mode? If my battery is fully charged and I am going down a super steep hill, am I really screwed? Thanks.

My photographic memory:
    manual regen.jpg

14. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait, i think i get it. The manual means a condition in which the accelerator is released AND the brake is depressed, right? I was originally reading it as either accelerator is released OR brake is depressed and I was thinking, how is that even possible?? Can someone please confirm my reinterpretation?

edit: I'm reading it again and I'm confused again because it says "in THESE situations" (plural) and that sounds more like dual EITHER/OR optional requirements than a single AND conjunction requirement.

15. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Day One done: about 52 mpg. More details later in week.

Question: is 100% SOC bad? Hard (impossible?) to avoid, even using "B"

Once I have 100% and can move from B to D, I am using EV to reduce SOC to 80%. Is this the right strategy?

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The computers will reduce the SOC to what they want soon after you regen to what appears to be 100%. Prius is basically kill proof, drive it and enjoy it and the computers will take care of the rest :)

Did you get a chance to snap some pics today? 52 mpg is very nice on the wallet.

Have fun,
    Mike [​IMG]

17. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I really have no idea what you're asking, but I'll try and explain what happens and maybe that'll answer your question...

The manual is correct - when you release the accelerator, it does a small amount of regen, in order to simulate the drag that a conventional car would have from the engine and transmission. To truly coast in the Prius (i.e. no energy either in or out of the motors and the engine), you actually have to press the accelerator very lightly.

Shifting to B is like downshifting in a conventional car; it increases the amount of this drag. In the Prius, this is accomplished by increasing the amount of regeneration, and by spinning the engine faster. On a long descent, the battery will eventually fill up, and so regeneration can't be used any more - at that point, the engine will spin even faster. Worth note is that the same thing happens if you fill the battery while in D; the engine will still rev up a bit to provide some drag, though not as fast as it will in B.

So if you're going down a long hill, you'll have about the same amount of drag the whole way, whether your battery is full or not. The car will try to maximize efficiency by doing regeneration early though - which is useful if, for example, there's an uphill section halfway down where it can use some of the battery's energy. That said, there's never an efficiency advantage to using B compared to D. It just keeps you from having to press the brake pedal, and reduces wear on the brake pads.

WE0H likes this.
  18. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    About 200, be assured I will not post them ALL.

WE0H likes this.
  19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One pic per post [​IMG] How's the car handling in the corners? I envision winding switchbacks on a two lane road...

Mike

20. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lots of switchbacks, especially when moving down mountain. Car handled fine. I am so happy with the whole experience. Details on mileage and at least one pic tomorrow night.