1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving the Prius without the Smart Key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darinf, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The three beep are very audible from outside the car when you leave it on and take the fob with you. I know because I do this on a nearly daily basis when I pick the kids up from their grandma's house on the way home from work. We're back in the car in 5-10 minutes tops so I prefer not to power down and then have it go through the whole start-up cycle again and lose the ability to glide downhill out of her neighborhood.

2. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Jun 7 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]457391[/snapback]</div>
    I can hear it when I am the one who's been driving, leave the car, and take the key with me. However, I'm not sure if it makes that sound if the driver doesn't leave the driver's seat!

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 7 2007, 01:37 AM) [snapback]457175[/snapback]</div>
    . . . . but the thread says. "There SHOULD Be a Warning ! ! ".
    Maybe the OP meant, there should be a DIFFERENT warning . . . not a warning there's no FOB in the car ... but there ought to be a warning that the driver doesn't pay attention, and thus, as soon as (s)he sits in the Driver's Seat, the seat automaticly and violently tilts ... dumping the attention deficit person back onto the street. :D

4. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 7 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]457394[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, good point. Never tried that. I think it still does, but I don't know for sure.

5. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 7 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]457394[/snapback]</div>
    I think it senses if the key is in the front seat area, so it shouldn't matter. For example, if the keys are in your purse and the purse is in the hatch area, the car wont start. I had this happen yesterday as I hurriedly loaded my groceries in the back (someone was waiting for the spot) when I tried to power up I got a flashing yellow key light on the dash. Got out moved key to the front, voila ready light came on.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 7 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]457394[/snapback]</div>
    My 06 beeps three times if the car is left READY and any door (or the hatch) is opened and closed and the key is not inside the car when the door/hatch closes.

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Jun 7 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]457391[/snapback]</div>
    Q: If the car is running (Ready), can you go outside and lock it by pressing the lock on the fob?

8. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 7 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]457441[/snapback]</div>
    I think the only way you can lock a running Prius is with the little metal key in the fob (and you'd have to unlock the same way).

9. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 7 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]457441[/snapback]</div>
    I think I read on here somewhere that you'd have to use the mechanical key to lock it while it's on. I haven't thought to try it though (she's in a safe area and the car is parked at the end of the driveway far away from the road, plus no one would know that it's "running" just by walking by). I'll trying locking it on the way home today with the fob, door handle lock button, and mechanical key and report back.

10. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I usually keep my smart key in my purse, and I have had no trouble starting the car and driving it with the purse in the back seat. I'm not surprised that having the key in back didn't work because it has to be within a few feet in order for the sensors to pick it up.

But more importantly -- is it possible to shift ANY car into drive if your foot is not on the brake????? Because this is just common sense/safety - any car starts to move as soon as you put it in drive or reverse.

11. azguy

azguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jun 7 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]457491[/snapback]</div>

Happened to me also. Instead of dropping my wife off a COSTCO I dropped her off at TARGET. I drove her car to HOME DEPOT and she has the smartkey in her purse. I saw the light go on the dashboard but I did not realize what it meant. When I got to HOME DEPOT and turned off her car I new I was in trouble when I reached for the key......
    You have to lock all doors manually. I walked back to TARGET which was a mile away.

12. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My friend got the smart key option on his Prius, and he has had that happen to him as well. After seeing that, I am kinda glad NOT to have the smart key option in mine. :lol:

13. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azguy @ Jun 7 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]457505[/snapback]</div>
    So... there was no loud beeping when she got out, right?

14. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the US prius has a warning if you are in the car without the smart key... In my car it is a key symbol with a big exclamation point in the middle... and the car beeps... the light is in the middle of the warning light cluster and is as noticable as any of the other indicators..

15. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jun 7 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]457491[/snapback]</div>
    Right, and all newer cars (don't remember the year it was mandated) have a shift interlock: you have to step on the brakes when shifting out of park.

The usual stumper for the Prius is that you have to press the brake to start it -- this isn't common on other cars.

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vdubstress @ Jun 7 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]457426[/snapback]</div>
    You hurried to unload groceries because someone was waiting for the spot. I slow down and start rebagging items when someone tries to rush me, or sometimes I will all of a sudden have the urge to visit another store in the plaza. But I am a jackass

As far as the FOB, the car still beeps regardless what door closes when the FOB disappears (including the rear doors), but I think it should also put a warning on the MFD like it does for if you open up the door and are not in park that just says your key is no longer located inside the vehicle..

17. TNJellyBean

TNJellyBean New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 7 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]457441[/snapback]</div>
    hmmm.... not sure about pressing the lock on the fob - but pressing the outside door lock buttons will not work - it will beep at you (3 times i think)... i know this because i forgot to turn the car off when i got to work the other day.... thankfully i am in the habit of always hitting those outside buttons to lock, and am used to hearing the one "you got me locked" beep - so that anything out of the ordinary is very noticeable... good thing, else i would have gone in to work and left it running all day!!

18. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 7 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]457661[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: It is at the Trader Joes by my house, very tiny parking lot, very busy store. You always have to wait for a spot there, so they weren't trying to rush me ;)

19. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vdubstress @ Jun 7 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]457687[/snapback]</div>
    Still I hate that, because usually in my case there is more than enough parking and I look at the person as being lazy. But I do try to hurry when I pump gas and it is busy and someone is waiting for the pump.

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's an idea, if you're going to be driving the Prius have the key with you. It comes with two. I carry the SKS fob on my keychain just like I would a normal key, so when I'm driving the Prius even if Carla gets out of the car I still have my key. She also always carries her key like she would if it was a regular key. She has the key to my Lexus on her keychain too.

Don't you people carry keys with you? How do you get into your house when you get home?

I mean, seriously the car can't fix stupid. We've had this car for 3 years and we've never left it running, never walked off without the key and left the other stranded in a parking lot, none of it. We must be rocket scientists or something.

If you can't seem to get the knack of the SKS system, shut it off and use it like a normal key.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azguy @ Jun 7 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]457505[/snapback]</div>
    Thats what the manual is for...no excuse for not understanding what the warning lights on the dashboard of your car mean.