1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving the Prius without the Smart Key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darinf, Jun 6, 2007.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well as long as you were laughing about it and not storming around shaking your fists at Toyota its fine ;)

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had a chance to re-read the manual today and discovered that the system DOES have an audible alert if the fob is not inside and the transaxle is not in "P". At least that's what the manual says.

Perhaps when you disable either the reverse or seatbelt beeps that alert also gets disabled by coincidence? I don't know and am too lazy to re-enable my seatbelt beeps to find out. It would be nice if someone could verify this and put this debate finally to rest. :)

3. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 16 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]463194[/snapback]</div>
    The reason I said "2 things spring to mind...." was because your post raised some thoughts, potentially tangentially, rather than that I wished to respond directly to the matters you had raised. Thus it's not a question of what you did or didn't say, but the notions your contribution caused me to consider. Hence my post, written in that form. It certainly seemed to me important to do more than simply restate what had been said before, since that doesn't move the issue on at all, but to take the opportunity to explain my thinking in the context of the matter in hand since that might help improve discussion rather than continue the assertion/rebuttal that has largely prevailed. I saw your post as a constructive attempt to do the same, and wanted to reply in like kind.

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 17 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]463757[/snapback]</div>
    There definitely is an alert, even if it is in "P". However, my argument is that it is not very audible (to me) -- it's three soft beeps and then nothing. I find it easy to miss, especially if there is other traffic noise and one is walking away. Apparently, inside, you only hear one beep. Yes, there is a key icon, but again, it's not particularly obvious to someone who doesn't happen to be looking at the dash.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 17 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]463512[/snapback]</div>
    Na... not my style. I was only metaphorically shaking my fists at you! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jun 18 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]463955[/snapback]</div>
    I think I was only responding to the "big warning icon" part. It's not that big.

Anyway, I think we've beaten this one to death. Still friends, okay? ;)

5. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 18 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]463966[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you have me won over to the argument that the warning is perhaps not explicit enough to make it clear to the person piloting the car what the issue is, and thus needs rethinking to clarify it, since even if nothing else, it is possible the person driving is not familiar enough with the car to know how to interpret what they hear and see.

It serves as a reminder that the icon metaphor is not always the best way to communicate, and if anything has become rather poorly (and over) used.

For a dead horse, I think we managed to ride it pretty well!

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The solution is, of course, to have the smart key microchip surgically implanted in your tummy area. That way, whenever you approach the car, it detects it, and you will always be able to drive it.

You'll have to have a spare key fob available to hand to valets, along with the valet card (you can have them attached to each other, so that you always know where it is). I would suggest not having the valet key be a smart key.

:)

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    people FREAKED OUT when the snowflake icon showed up on the dash and pissed and moaned and otherwise complained about it because it freaked them out and was in general annoying to look at. the key icon is another yellow reminder but apparently is far less noticeable?

as a driver, you should always be aware of what's on the dashboard. if your oil pressure light comes on, for instance, you need to get off to the side of the road and park immediately. what's the car gonna do, stop for you? same concept. the car can alert you but it's not gonna start flashing big orange signs on the windshield or anything.

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 18 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]463978[/snapback]</div>
    In case this horse is not completely dead:

This situation is more likely to be encountered by a secondary driver who may not be as familiar with the Prius or the SKS, e.g. a spouse, a friend, a valet kid, etc. etc etc.

And PriusRos is correct. According to the manual, there is only ONE beep on the inside (but THREE on the outside).

Still, it would be nice to know if the system actually does what the manual says: continuous beeping if the fob is outside and transaxle is not in "P".

9. alpha105

alpha105 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darinf @ Jun 6 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]457059[/snapback]</div>

Hey, now, let's not blame the wife completely! After all, you are the one who walked away with the key and you should have heard the beep when you got out of the car.

Polly <_<

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 18 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]463966[/snapback]</div>
    Me? Frustrating? Naah ;)

11. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    whats the farthest anyone has ever driven the prius without the key in it? Today my wife sent someone in our car an hour away.....

Then they are both calling me asking how to get the car started....

She wasn't excited to hear me tell her she had to drive our gas guzzling highlander hybrid an hour away to drop off the smart key in her pocket....

Oh well. Thats two hours of our lives gone forever, and about 5 gallons of suv gas burned into the atmosphere that never needed to be there.