1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving through snow and ice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gabriel Perez, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Gabriel Perez

Gabriel Perez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my Prius three months ago; however, winter is fast approaching. I was wondering how well does a Prius handle itself on snow and ice. I also own a Dodge Neon and a Honda Odyssey, both handle themselves very smooth in winter conditions. Any advice Prius' owners.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Search around, this topic has been covered ad nauseam.

GenIII Prii have less aggressive traction control than the GenII and my GenII has no problems climbing the Rocky Mountain passes. I have a season ski pass and am up there all the time, usually driving through a blizzard so I can get first powder.

It is all about driver style. I can drive the Prius up the mountain with no issues while other people in 4x4 battering rams of death spin out of control into the ditch. The Prius is capable of being a mountain goat, but it is only as good as its weakest link. The driver and the tires on the car and the 2 big ones when it comes to Prii.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This will be my 14th Winter driving a Prius in Minnesota. I've experienced everything the cold season can dish out.

So, I'm not sure what to say at this point. In fact, it drives much better than my mom's 2004 Corolla on snow & ice. So, there's really nothing to prove. It works fine.

The key is to enjoy the slower speeds required for safer driving. MPG shots up as a result. It's a win-win situation. Heck, you'll look at commute congestion quite differently. That nightmare of wasting gas is replaced by silent satisfaction.

4. Gabriel Perez

Gabriel Perez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in Eastern Washington and it does snow and ice at times. I am just no sure how well it will handle itself once the real test comes. I am a pretty safe and conservative driver. Thanks for the input.

5. Gabriel Perez

Gabriel Perez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reading your post puts me more at ease, knowing your Prius is able to handle Minnesota winters. Thank you.

6. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Our Prius is the best handling vehicle we have ever owned.

We drive on ice [frozen ponds, etc] and it handles great.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no problem in these alaska winters that last a long time. however, i wont leave home w/o my studded snow tires.

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  8. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I shifted to studs last week. The ground was beginning to freeze. Fog coming off the rivers will form black-ice on the pavement soon. So studs are needed.

I have seen a few conversations where new tire technology is getting close to being as good as studs. But not as inexpensive as studs.

spiderman likes this.
  9. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have snows on all four wheels? Studded tires?

10. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two Prius in 8 years in Wisconsin winters, tires that came on cars, no problems, just use common winter driving sense.
    If your concerned put on winter tires they do help.

milkman44 likes this.
  11. Koreaneugene

Koreaneugene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Im over in Seattle and to be honest, it hasnt been too bad. I take trips up to Stevens Pass annually and I have yet to have much difficulty. Although at one point, we did have to use chains. Also have to deal with the jerk-off drivers in their hummers giving you a hard time. Nothing a middle finger cant fix. Tires definitely make a difference. Im on the Michelin Defenders so we will see how it goes this year.

12. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't bother with the finger. One of those morons will ram you or something.

The payoff with those guys is seeing them in a ditch 25 minutes later because they think a big 4WD truck can corner and stop like a Ferrari at the track.

Koreaneugene likes this.
  13. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The big advantage studless snows have is they are far better on dry or wet surfaces than studded tires. Since most people don't actually drive on snow and ice for the majority of the winter, this is a good trade off.

retired4999 likes this.
  14. Koreaneugene

Koreaneugene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

GOOD POINT! haha

15. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look, I love my prius but it does not Excel in the snow and ice. The traction control can help prevent "dummies" from getting into accidents, but it can keep a good driver from getting through or getting out of a parking space.

The low clearance doesn't help either.

Sure, snow tires and studs help but that is true with any car.

I much prefer to drive my iMiev in the snow. The well distributed Battery weight is a big plus, also it is high off the ground for a small car.

16. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very good with 4 winter tires here in Vermont. I generally run out of ground clearance before traction is an issue.

17. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    This will be our third winter with ours. We live on rural roads that are covered in hard packed snow all winter, which isn't much better driving on ice. It's decent in the snow with snow tires, better than our old Civic. I just put some new XI3's on so it should be better than the old Winterforce tires. My wife has got it stuck in our driveway after a big snow fall. The car got hung up on the floor boards, she pulled it out of the garage and just wouldn't move. I also have a 4x4 truck with winter tires, which many 4x4 owners don't think they need and end up in the ditch. The truck is obviously much better but it's also 4 wheel drive. For a FWD car, it is very good overall.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recommend winter tyres. The grip you get with those is night and day and certainly helped with braking and cornering on snow and ice (They've paid for themselves twice over in two situations that regular all-season tyres would have had me sending the car to a body shop). The Prius is front-heavy (at least 60/40 weight distribution. It might be 64/36 to be exact but I'll have to double check) so front grip is good if you have the proper tyres. The narrow 195 width of the tyres also help with loose snow as there's more weight per square inch over the tyres.

TRAC and VSC have improved with this new generation. The traction control allows some wheel spin now (previously, it would cut all power which is not something you want if you lost traction while turning left with a vehicle hurling towards you). The VSC has never let me down thus far when I actually needed it (understeer was kept to a minimum and it never broke traction in the rear... possibly aided by the Electronic Brakeforce Distribution that comes with the ABS under hard braking on ice/polished hard pack snow).

I'd say ground clearance (which is midpack among midsize and compact cars) is more of an issue if you live in an area that gets lots of snow at once or heavy wet snow (e.g. 4-8" with each storm).

Oh and you can use ECO mode in the winter to act as a "Snow" mode found in some cars. It dials back the sensitivity of the accelerator so you can use that to help minimise wheel spin. In addition, ECO mode is more aggressive with the engine shut off, thus saving fuel (the downside is that it'll take longer to heat up the cabin).

19. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Try good brand snow chains. I swear by Rud chains. I always run out of floorpan clearance before I get stuck for lack of traction. Good modern chains like Ruds are "easy-on, easy-off".

20. Val D

Val D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone ever used cooper built arctic claw winter tires? It's my first winter with my 2010 prius. Any suggestions on winter tires, moderately priced?