1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving tips?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Pizza Driver, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been considering a Prius 2 Eco but now that the pricing of the Prius Prime has turned out to be so very competitive I am quite interested in this vehicle. I do have some questions related the Gen 4 Prii and the Prime in particular, however:

1) Currently, my Prius C will automatically turn on the ICE when coasting downhill when the speed reaches 44 mph even though I don't need it. At what speed/conditions does the Gen 4 automatically turn on the ICE?

2) Related: What is the maximum speed a Gen 4 can be traveling at in which the ICE may be turned off? I have seen reports that some people were able to go into EV mode at 60 mph.

3) I take it that the Prime switches from pure-EV mode to HV mode when a certain percentage of the battery has been drained. Is that so?

4) If (3) is the case, can driving in a way that recharges the battery (such as driving at hwy speeds in HV mode) allow the car to go back to driving in pure-EV mode? For example. lets say I do some in-town driving in pure-EV mode for 10 miles to reach the hwy, then travel 10 miles on the hwy in HV mode. At the end of the hwy segment will a portion of the pure-EV range be restored?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    3) yes, when most of the battery has been drained, so that there is a similar amount left as the non plug in. then it behave in a similar fashion.

4) no, although there is a way to charge the battery from the engine to add back more ev miles, it's a special mode, is not generally efficient, and the car won't do it on it's own (which would be efficient) unless you're going down a long hill.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    84mph. Which is probably the answer to #1 also unless........ the battery is full. Then, it might activate the ICE to use the excess electricity from all the regen just like the hybrid.

4. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    4) In the example you gave, at the end of the highway section you will have same estimated EV range as in the beginning of the hwy section (about 15 miles), in order to utilize them you have to manually switch back to EV mode. If you desire more, then you can manually activate the special charge mode sometimes during the hwy HV drive, and, as bisco said, this mode consumes more gas (needed for charging).

5. JoePriusPrime

JoePriusPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This might be off topic. But one the most popular tips for hypermiling is to 'pulse and glide'.

6. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    # 2 there is no limit in mph (as far as I have seen). I've had the ICE turn off and use HV battery up to 70 mph. (I haven't driven faster). The 84 mph limit is for EV mode, then the ICE will come on.