1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL/Bulb Technical Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Paul58, Nov 9, 2010.

1. meetzejt

meetzejt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Paul, know you didn't install these yourself but any idea what wire they used for the 12v IGN? Going to try the install myself this weekend.

Thanks!

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Will the "1 touch" flasher still flash the lights when being locked & unlocked? The reason I asked is the flasher from jdmtoys does this but many other flashers won't. They resolve the hyper flash but don't flash when locked/unlocked. When I swapped to LEDs in my Gen2, I used the jdmtoy flasher & still had flaming lock while other members didnt with other flasher relays.

3. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone had any success replacing the relay in a 2012 Gen III? The relay is in a different configuration that the 2010, that's certain (based on cproaudio's pic). I did a feel test with the turn signal on and know where the relay is, can see some wires at a connector, but haven't been able to find the right combination of depressing the tab / pulling on the wires to get the connector out. Definitely more of a hassle that what it took me to disconnect the noise maker, and that was a pain as well.

4. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys...This hyper flashing bulb stuff is not for me. I want to get a replacement bulb for the amber turn signal bulbs. I want a chrome finish on it or just not to reflect amber. ( only when lit ) Where can I find the old style bulbs...?

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced the flasher relay on my 2012 with a LED flasher relay from jdmtoys. If ur on ur back looking up at the brake pedal, look for the brake light switch......its just passed that. To release it, u have to use the smallest flat head u can find & release the tab, then push the relay up towards the top of the dash (dont pull dwn).

6. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    See Update DRL/Bulb Technical Question | Page 2 | PriusChat

Push up? Perhaps I didn't find the flasher relay when fishing around up there last night. I know where the brake light switch is. I felt around with the turn signal on and got the best feel from what looks like a white box, much larger than the jdmtoy relay, with a group of about 5 or so wires going into a connector. Based on what you've described I don't think I was at the right spot because pushing up would mean pushing into the white box.

As you know, space is really tight and getting your head and arm in the right position is a pain. I will try to take a pic tonight and post what I am thinking is the relay connector. Hopefully you can tell me if I got it right. I'll trying pushing up on the connector, since I'll be down there anyways.

Thanks very much sfv41901.

new iPad ?

7. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Try Home page

A coworker just installed some on his silver Mercedes and they look great, blending right in with the car.

new iPad ?

8. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update:

I finally was able to replace the relay. It turned out that I was looking at the wrong connector in my first post (#23). Here is a pic I took to help me figure out where things were at:

[​IMG]

If you want to remove the original relay you need to insert a small (3/16" or ~3 - 4mm) screw driver between that small tab in slot A and the space closest to the relay. In other words, that tab has be moved away from the relay.

Close-up pic showing the space where to insert the screw driver:

[​IMG]
    The easiest way for me to do this was to shove the screw driver in as far as it would go and keep pushing on it. That released the relay from the attachment bracket.

Then the next step is to press hard on Tab B, pressing in towards the wires, to release the connector from the relay. I suppose you could try to skip removing the relay and try to press Tab B while tugging on the wires. Either way it is a one handed job and a pain to accomplish.

Thanks to those who got me pointed in the right direction. Now my 2012 has nothing but LED lighting throughout (well, except for the HID hi beams). Here's a quick video of the LED turn signals in hazard mode. The end of the video gives you an idea of what the relay sounds like. I still had it hanging down loose when I shot this.

vito.a, Tracksyde and spiderman like this.
  9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad it worked out

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow they are super bright :) I must do that to my car.

Mike

11. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Paul, can you snap some pix during day time at noon where you get full sunlight. Would love to look at it.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The '12 DRL's are freakin bright during the day :) It would be nice to figure out where to buy those LED's to use them for other lighting uses.

Mike

13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There prob hi power cree LEDs with some good heat sinks

14. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, just saw this post, I just sold my Prius yesterday! I do have one this one day time pic, but this was later in the day... I also think this was with the LED bulbs which were not as bright as the stock bulbs. I ended up putting the stock bulbs back in because they were brighter.

Prius-6.jpg

15. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So what did u replace the 2010 with?

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Problem with those chrome finish amber bulbs is they run pretty hot. A lot of heat that is normally radiated from the filament gets trapped and reflected back by that chrome coating on the bulb. Ones I had used previously just for turn signals got freakin' hot just being on a few seconds. I can't imagine how hot they'd get being on all the time being used as DRLs during the day. I'm guessing you might melt something, or at the very least you'll end up replacing the bulbs really soon because the filament keeps burning out.

17. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nothing, I'm changing jobs and the new job has the use of a company car, so we needed the garage space!

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh........So no more Prius?

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well hopefully some day you can buy another one :) Either that or ask the boss to give you one as a company ride.

Mike

20. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just replaced my flasher. It wasn't too bad. I used a flashlight and a mirror to see the flasher unit (which is way up there).
    Then I got a coat hanger and made a hook. I put hook over the loop of wire under the flasher. Then with one hand pulling the coat hanger, I used the other hand to press the connector release tab. I tried doing it all with one hand, with one finger pulling the wire and another finger pressing the tab, but that didn't work.

After I installed the LED flasher, I used a cable tie to hold the wiring harness to another nearby wire harness. I was able to one hand the cable tie, after a bit of cursing. Relay is working; now I need some bright LED turn signals...