1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL lights at tail.

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Sfpep, Oct 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They do in Liftbacks and 'v's.

Is that not true in your 'c'?

#21 fuzzy1, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Minima Domum likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No. It has never been true of ANY vehicle I've ever owned.
    My C "screams" that annoying alarm if I open the door with them still ON.
    There might be a safety "time out" to save the battery but they certainly don't go off immediately when you turn the car OFF.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been true on EVERY vehicle I've purchased in the past thirty years. My household's last car without auto-off is the '89 Integra that is still the spouse's daily driver.

OP's Finnish vehicle appears similar to a U.S. 'v', which has auto-off but no buzzer. From the U.S. 2016 'v' owner's manual, page 192:

upload_2020-11-2_10-27-33.png

Even some 'c's have this. But maybe yours does not, being equipped instead with a reminder buzzer and 20-minute battery saver. From 2017 'c' owner's manual:

upload_2020-11-2_10-30-32.png
    upload_2020-11-2_10-31-54.png

Minima Domum likes this.
  4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hmm. With every Toyota I've owned since my 1988 Celica (and there's been a number of them), if you left the light switch in the "on" position, the lights would automatically turn off when you opened the driver's door following shut down. I found it rather annoying when I had some luxury Euro brands that they didn't posses this feature.
    I'll have to check the V when I get home.

Minima Domum likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Bottom line: I really don't care. Don't you have anything better to do with your time ?

Toward the bottom of your quoted information, it states that the "buzzer" operates similarly in both "options".

AND.....if an owner has never ignored the buzzer and then watched his headlights for 30 seconds........he would never know.

I was TRYING to state that they do NOT go off immediately with the "ignition" and it appears that is true.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :rolleyes: It has long been clear that you regularly fling insults at people who correct your occasional misinformation.
    U.S.-market Liftbacks and 'v's don't have a buzzer to be ignored in the first place. It seems that his Euro version is similar.

And those who RTFM (or many dealer's pre-delivery questionnaires) know that the auto-off delay is customizable to 0-30-60-90 seconds. It has been discussed in many many many threads on this website.
    The videotape says:
    ... which was simply wrong for his and most models.

Minima Domum and Tyfly like this.
  7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Reporting back:

I can't speak for non-North American versions, but my North American 2013 Prius V Wagon works as I described. Leave the switch in the "on" position, and the lights turn off when the door is opened following shutdown... then turn back on when the vehicle is powered back up. Just as they did in the '88 Celica, '89 Camry, '94 Pickup, '95 Tacoma, '03 Sienna, '02 4Runner, '08 Prius, & '00 Tundra. (y)

Minima Domum likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been customized. Factory default is 30 seconds delay to turn off.

Did you fill out a dealer customization sheet when this car was purchased new? I did.

upload_2020-11-3_4-27-10.png

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have Techstream.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. Sfpep

Sfpep New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Im sorry folks! i totally forgot that i had this thread open here. I know that there is somekind of safety turnoff timer for the lights, but i havent tryed it how long is it. If i leave the lights "on" position then they will be left on until the timer runs out. How do i know? My father drove my car and left the lights on accidently after turning the car off and i was in panic that now battery is dead... But it wasnt so I assume there is some timer.

Almost every car before my prius has been ok to leave the lights "on" postition, BUT none of those cars had the "auto" option atall, so i think the automatic on and off for the lights is tied to that there is no "auto" position on the light switch for the beginning. My pirus+ is my first with the "auto" mode.

In "auto" mode the lights act like you described.

And i think none of those cars had the "auto" option on the light switch either?? (88 Celica, '89 Camry, '94 Pickup, '95 Tacoma, '03 Sienna, '02 4Runner, '08 Prius, & '00 Tundra)

11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think the Sienna had and auto function with a sensor on the dash that sensed daylight/darkness.

Back to your Prius: This video shows you how to adjust the auto-off timer to 90 - 60 - 30 - zero seconds. Mine's set to zero, meaning the headlights turn off immediately when the driver's door is opened following shut-down.

Minima Domum likes this.
  12. Sfpep

Sfpep New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope... i dont have that adjustment available. ‍

Attached Files:

tvpierce likes this.
  13. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The "auto" mode on every car I've driven that has it means that the lights turn on when the sensor detects darkness, and off when the sensor detects bright light (daytime).

None of them have anything to do with the shut down procedure, all of which turn the headlights off either when the key is pulled out or when the drivers door is opened, your V should do the same thing if you havnt got the timer set.

On my 2008 Prius the headlights turn off when I open the driver's door after shut down and turn back on when I start the car again. I have installed DRLs that come on if the ignition is on but the headlights are off, and they also shut down when I open the door.

14. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your car will do what you are asking about if you would ignore the AUTO function, and just put the switch in the ON position. It may take 30 seconds for the lights to turn off after opening the door following a power-down, but they will turn off. If you wish for them to turn off immediately after opening the door, your dealer can adjust that or you can do it yourself if you have Techstream.

Minima Domum likes this.