1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL mod for Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by glennchoi, May 15, 2007.

1. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for bringing this thread back up, I had been thinking about doing this and maybe substituting the OEM bulbs with LEDS for lower power consumption and heat reduction. :)

2. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone know where we can obtain the LEDs to swap out our incandescent turn signal bulbs? I have switched all the interior bulbs to LEDs already, except for the mirror lights.

Can anyone confirm that heat is a problem in summertime and could melt the plastic headlight housing? If that is true, those of us who have converted our turn signals to double as DRLs have little choice but to get with the LEDs.

3. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've posted this else where, but I am still looking for a reply, thanks.

Are there different (headlight) light control switches for the Prius that are sold in different countries?
    For example a JDM verse American market?

Some countries require DRL's while in the states it's not a requirement. Other countries require a rear fog light that is directly connected to a front fog light circuit. These lights are controlled by the headlight switch.

For example the Volkswagen and I'll use my Eurovan as the subject.
    Here in the states the headlight switch is very simple,
    In the "normal" position it provides DRL, -headlights only on low beam-. In the full on position it lights all the lights, plate, parking front and rear and headlights. One version of the switch has a fog light control, if the switch is pulled out it controls the front fog lights but only when the lights are fully on.
    The European switch, allows for the DRL's, parking lights without headlights, and all lights fully on. There are three versions of this type of switch. One allows for no fog lights, another allows for front fog lights, the third allows of front and rear fog lights.
    There is also a switch that controls the electric adjustment of the headlights for "City Lights". This switch comes in the three versions mentioned above.
    In short there are at least eight different switch's for this model of the Eurovan.
    (For the record, I have replaced my stateside switch with a European one. It allows me to turn off my DRL's yet have parking lights, it also controls the front fog lights and a rear fog light that I have installed in the stock position.
    I just wondering if there are different switch's for the Prius as I am not a big fan of DRL's and would want to save the HID's any un-needed use.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just curious, when a turn signal is flashing, is the other side on or off?

Impatient that no one answered this question, it's been a whole day!, I happen to see this youtube video of daytime running lights (via web electric), done on a mustang, that show....They turn off!

from youtube

I also like the sequential rear taillights some of the mustangs show , doesn't apply to the prius.
    Webelectricproducts website has excellent oneline instructions that cover this topic, unit can be made to do either one, syncronize or not with the turn signals.

And if anyone would care to post a video of an installation of the daytime running lights, I and many others would appreciate that. Watching the video of Thunderjon's installation of an ev switch got me to take that on.
    (Search google video for Thunder's Prius EV mod install guide and commentary .)

5. rogart1

rogart1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello check your private mail on Prius Chat