1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL no headlights

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tnt4him, Oct 28, 2015.

1. tnt4him

tnt4him Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe the headlights are not suppose to come on with the automatic daytime running lights but at night they do not come on unless I manually turn them on. But I noticed that when I turn on the headlights the running lights go off, specifically the tail lights. The brake lights work fine but running lights should come on with headlights, right? Is there a secret switch to make this work correctly? 2012 prius C3

2. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First the DRL is not automatic. And second it will be off when you switch the headlights on.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OP says the running lights in the rear go out when the headlights are turned on though. :confused:

4. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I re-read and looks like the OP said the taillights are on with DRL, and off when headlights are on: weird.

I think the DRL is on with no other lights on. I have to check when I have a chance at night.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First off, my undertanding of your question may be hampered due to being in Canada. Up here:

If you have the headlights off, the tail lights are off, and the high beam headlights come on at reduced brightness. The latter is Daytime Running Lights.

If you turn on the headlights, or even just the parking lights, the DRL are off, and the tail lights are on, at low brightness. Hit the brakes and the tail light brightness goes up.

6. tnt4him

tnt4him Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes that is true- but my question is why to the taillights (parking lights) go off when the headlights are turned on?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When the headlights go on there definitely should be tail lights on too. If they're not it needs to be checked out.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are turning the switch to the real headlight position (i.e. not a DRL position on a car where reduced power headlights are used for the DRL function), and the taillights / parking lights go off, then something is broken.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. John Sayre

John Sayre New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, how do you fix it. Broken bad fix good. My problem is my drls are on all the time even when the car is off. Had to pull the high beam fuses to shut off the drls.