1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL not working / Not installed / Safety Issue

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Dellrc, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dellrc

Dellrc New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We recently purchased a new 2013 Prius V with the preferred equipment package (LED lights, leather, etc) and noticed that there is no daytime running lights. We checked the manual and found 4 separate turn signal/ headlight control switches. The one installed in our vehicle is the "US version" and all attempts to have the DRL come on proved futile.

I could not find anywhere in the manual a reference that would say "the DRL feature is not available in US designated vehicles".

I took the vehicle to the dealer and he said that the vehicle was not equipped with DRL! The 2004 Corolla which was traded in had them but a new, upgrade 2013 vehicle does not?

I called Toyota directly and they stated that the lights were not installed in this vehicle based on the VIN number. If the vehicle was intended for delivery in Canada they would have connected this feature. There is nothing that they can do at this point. If aftermarket DRL headlamps are installed "it could void the warranty".

The lack of DRL in the US version of the Prius V is definitely a safety issue and a major step backward.

I would like others with the same problem to follow this thread and consider the possible involvement of the NTSB to look at this problem.

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Why would an older Corolla have DRL and a newer Prius not have it? Maybe weight and current draw which both affect mileage? Maybe cost?

I'd like it too but I can't complain about something that wasn't on the car when I bought it, I had a chance to look for it and didn't.

Until the NTSB mandates DRLs like Canada does, doubt they would care.

I know at least one of the Toyota US distributors makes an add on DRL kit, and I've seen the .pdf referenced here with installation instructions. Lots of DIY approaches have been posted here too. Search is your friend.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2014 model has them. (FWIW)
    There's no way to "enable" DRL on the 2012-2013, critical parts are absent. So you can scream all you like, it'll never have them unless you install an aftermarket kit.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can get a DRL module from eBay that will enable your highbeams at 30% to be used as DRLs, just like they do in Canada. Link to the thread is in my signature below, link to the eBay auction is in the first post of the thread.

As far as this or any other modification voiding any warranties, the dealer or manufacturer would have to prove that the aftermarket part or modification caused any problems. It's in the Magnusson-Moss act, or something like that.

SCH-I535

5. Dellrc

Dellrc New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the help....but current draw would be less on the 13 Prius since they are LED. Seems strange that a company such as Toyota would go backwards with design and safety features. I have seen other posts with owners having the same problem. They also were never informed that there may not be DRL in their vehicles.

6. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why toyota didn't install , cost , use of electricity , no mandate law requiring

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is a step backwards, but because DRLs are not yet mandated in the U.S., I'm uncertain what sort of response you are expecting from the NTSB.

My 2010 Liftback also lacked DRLs. It was a nice new feature on the 2012 Liftback, advertised only for the Liftback, not 'c' or 'v'. Did you look at the feature list when you purchased it?

If this bothers you, then just do what I did only my 2010 Prius and 1997 Subaru, and many others did on all pre-2012 Prii versions: turn the headlights on once, and never turn them off. Auto-off will turn them off when the car is shut down, and back on automatically when the car re-started. No additional thought required. Not quite as fuel efficient as true DRLs, but provides the same safety function. Case closed.

Did you perform due diligence by looking at the feature list when you purchased it? DRL is not mandated, no disclosure of its absence is necessary. The new 2014 Subaru I brought home two days ago (old one had to be retired, spouse can't stand to not have one in winter) very clearly calls out its presence on the Monroney Sticker.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    the high beams are not LED, only the low beams.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Running the high beams at 30% for DRLs use approximately 22w each, probably less than the LED lowbeams use.

In addition, along with the LED lowbeams, the parking lights and rear marker lights would be illuminated.

Even if the OP had the same LED DRLs that are on the hatchback, there are 4 high power LEDs per DRL cluster. I'm not sure what wattage each LED uses, but the Audi LEDs are 7w each, I believe. That would put each DRL cluster at 28w of power consumption.

SCH-I535

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just a comment, while technically not DRLs, if you just turn the headlights on and never turn them off, your car will always be lit up.

If you turn off the delay, the headlights go out as soon as you open the drivers door.

11. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I went through the same thing with Toyota after we bought our "v" in 2012 - letters to and phone calls with Toyota corporate customer service. I ended up converting the turn signals to DRL: WebElectric DRL-2P installation into 2012 Prius v | PriusChat

Others on this forum have done the same thing including at least one Canadian that used the DRL-2P kit to satisfy the Canadian DRL requirement when importing a U.S. specification car into Canada.

12. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    believe me, one reason toyota didn't install DRL'S was not to conserve the electrical power draw. then leaves the only reason--PROFIT.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering the fine tuning they had to do to get the 2010 model to achieve a 50 MPG EPA label, rather than having to round down to 49 MPG, I wouldn't be surprised that the DRLs were left out at that time to help achieve the 50 MPG marketing target.

That possible reason doesn't apply to leaving it off the 'v' and 'c' when it was added to the Liftback in 2012.

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Effect of DRLs on mpg is negligible. I've been running 50% highbeam DRLs (approximately 55w total) for a year now and you can see from my Fuelly.com widgets in my signature that I'm getting better than 50 mpg. About 60% daytime driving. Most of the mileage is freeway too.

SCH-I535

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... as was Prius's margin for getting an EPA MPG label of 50, instead of 49, on the 2010.

16. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not once thought about my new v not having DRL's. I wish it had auto on headlights though, which I think is a bigger safety issue for those that forget.

17. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Omg my new car doesn't have an option its not sposed to and I wasnt charged for!?!" The humanity! Who should I complain to?

Seriously? Come on now

GT-N8013 ? 4

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was more bemused by wanting headlights that turn on when you are apparently too busy to notice it got dark, instead of the headlights it has, which are always on, no matter how bright it is. Just leave them on forever, it is not hard.

19. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do not like DRL's as installed in the U.S. and Canada,(I live in both countries), because the headlight DRL's are on but with 'NO' taillights. I was driving in fog today and many cars were displaying DRL's and no tail lights. DANGEROUS !!! The Prius headlights will do a better job with tail lights on and will go off when you shut down the car and open the drivers door. Much, much, safer.

20. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am more bemused by those that need headlights on to see things that move in the daylight ;)