1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRLs for Prius v five

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by RosscoPico, Dec 16, 2011.

1. RosscoPico

RosscoPico New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone successfully modded a US Prius v five to pass Canadian inspection for daytime running lights?

Any luck with the replacement signal stalk?

cheers,
    Ross

2. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bump. I'm about to go through the process myself. I'm not sure I really like the webelectric turn signal mod, having amber lights on all the time.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Since you're in Canada you might go take a peek at a Canadian Prius v. It would be interesting if you could find out a difference in the wiring harnesses or something. There is a spot in the fuse box for DRLs. It was empty and I put a fuse in it. Nothing happened...

4. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Turns out (pun intended) I'll be using the turn signals using the Webelectric module.

However, I have a question. When one operates the turn signal, which signal turns on? The lower ones on the bottom of the bumper or the amber light on the outer edge of the headlights?

Which one is used by the module?

5. OWG

OWG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I am fairly certain there was a different controller module for the car with DRL and without. I noticed it in the Toyota electrical schematics when doing my turn signal mod. If you want to see the specs they are here: https://techinfo.toyota.com for $15 for 2 days access.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I haven't been there in a while. Used it when installing a Toyota alarm and remote start. Do you have a Canadian VIN I can use to compare? (I don't remember but I think you kind of need a VIN to see the schematics of the vehicle.) TIA

7. OWG

OWG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    No VIN necessary. Was the same schematics for with and without. Just identified differently on the diagram.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh cool. I wonder if I could feasably install it! Thanks. Will try to figure out what parts are different and see if there is a reasonable cost....

9. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Let us know of your findings. I just brought the car to Canada yesterday and I now have 45 days to get the mod done. Either your way (with the different parts) or just going ahead with Webelectric's turn signal mod.

10. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So far, in order to pass Canadian inspection, I suppose the switch will need to be changed to the Canadian version 84140‑48200 (which has no "off" position).

Also, there is the relay missing in the US version that we need to get. The Canadian part is: 82642‑47020

So, it looks very costly ($300+ not including labor).

I've also contacted Hamsar. They've recommended a module that would turn on the fog lights at all times. I inquired as to an alternative. They asked for the wiring diagram, which I gladly sent them. The engineering department will get back to me with a proposition.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's a pricey relay. Are you sure that the relay socket/installation position is wired in a US model?

I used a Hamsar module on the CR-V to drive the fogs at 50%; has worked flawlessly for eight years now.

12. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As far as the wiring goes, I don't think it's done. There are changes to be made, including to the connector on the stalk switch.

Answer from Hamsar: no other option than to use their 45040 module (70-987 at Canadian Tire) ; fog lights only. Bummer.

Only other option is DRL-2P from Webelectric (the route I'll be taking).

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 45040 is what I use on the CR-V.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hmmm. They couldn't figure out how to connect one to the high beam. That's kind of surprising. There's one guy on here that gave a wiring diagram and instructions to install your own DRL for really cheap. I wonder if we could find that user and ask him/her to figure it out. Relays can be found on eBay, but if the harness needs changing that may be a challenge....

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From experience with the CR-V, Hamsar is reluctant to propose a unit whose signal to lighting may inadvertently back-drive other aspects of the car's electronics, especially when a switched ground lighting design is involved.

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I decided to sign up for the $15 thing. Maybe I should have signed up for the one where I can connect techstream with my MVCI. This is a positive side switch from the looks of it, although my wiring reading skills have not been in use for a while....

On a side note I see nothing showing differences between US and Canadian models. It may just be a techstream activation to enable DRLs, going to try to find the harnesses...

17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Need some help. I have the wiring diagram and am a little confused. Anyone in Canada may be able to help. There is an empty space in the fuse box for a relay, but two relays away there is a DIM/DRL MODULE.

DIM/ FAN DRL

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is a relay connected to DRL? If so, then I'll need to check for +B voltage from Terminal 6. I tested all of them and there doesn't seem to be voltage from any, so maybe there needs to be a harness connection made....

If there is a relay in the DRL, then maybe just a harness connnection to there needs to be made and relay purchased. I don't think the switch stalk needs replacing as the manual has several different versions listed, and the one w/out DRL OFF has DRL function as well...

18. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Local Canadian Toyota dealer was unable to give me an accurate quote for doing the mod.

Said there was lots of trial and error involved because there are extended modifications to be done to the circuit.

Told me that the cheapest DRL they'd ever done cost roughly $200 while their most expensive job set the customer back $1000!

To pass federal inspection, I think The best thing is to just do the Webelectric mod, making sure to install male/female blade connectors on the cut wires. This way, the process is easily reversible. You're set back roughly $50-$60 total. (plus labour, if you're not too savvy; just get a local car electrician. Found tons of them on Kijiji. Most charge like $20 an hour.

I mean

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I studied computer engineering for 3 yrs in college. This, and the fact that I installed the alarm and remote start gives me some confidence in wiring this. Just kind of need to figure out if the extra relay slot is populated. The repair manual lists the steps to repair and I will just follow that from there... Shouldn't be too bad except getting to the junction under the dash may take a little bit.

There are 6 slots in the relay slot , but on pictures of the relay there are only 4 pins, so one goes to ground, one goes to fuse in the same box, and other two goes to junction under dash I think. Not too dificult...

SCH-R530M ? 2

20. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My interpretation of the Hamsar foglight DRL kit wiring instructions is that the reason one of it's wires has to be attached to a spark plug wire is so that DRL is enabled only when the engine is running - not understanding how that would be suitable for a hybrid that sometimes runs in EV/engine-off mode.

It is not just a "techstream activation to enable DRLs" on the U.S. market Prius v - I have already been through that with my local Kansas Toyota dealer and Toyota corporate customer service. Wiring harness on vehicles made by Toyota are almost always completely specific to country of sale and factory installed features. Just as you will not find infrastructure for radar cruise, PCS and headlight washers on cars that do not have these features, you will not find infrastructure for DRL if it was not installed at the factory.