1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Drool Worthy Nissan 2-Seater is Unveiled

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Feb 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    日産が2シーターオープンEV初公開!『Max-Out』を本社ギャラリーに展示 | MOBY [モビー]

Nissan unveiled a 2-seat open EV called Max-Out. Concept car, but everybody is definitely looking.

Partial translation:
    "The actual car of the concept car "Max-Out" is unveiled for the first time
    NissanMaxOut.jpg
    On February 2, 2023, Nissan unveiled the actual car of the 2-seater open concept car "Max-Out" for the first time.

Max-Out will appear as a virtual model at "Nissan Ambition 2030" held by Nissan in November 2021. This time, the actual car was unveiled for the first time.

In addition, Nissan will hold “Nissan FUTURE” at the Nissan Global Headquarters Gallery in Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture, and Max-Out will be exhibited in the gallery throughout the event period."

No details. Courtesy of Car-Moby website.

edited to add website name article source

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does it plug? Can't tell. Then again it's hard to tell the front from the rear
    ;)

bisco and PriusCamper like this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like something you're more likely to see in a Hot Wheels package than something you see waiting at a stop light next to you... And where is the roll bar and side and rear view mirrors? As in "concept cars" aren't real, they're just pretend. As in show me a photo of a concept car that actually looks like the production version? Has that ever happened before?

bisco likes this.
  4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still don't understand why Honda's first Hybrid cars had an all Aluminum chassis and mostly plastic body parts that eliminated near a 1000 pounds of vehicle weight didn't become a design that was adopted by other car makers? Obviously it's more expensive and less safe, but seems if they had stuck with it they could of addressed those issues?

6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah like the BMW i3 that actually fixed those issues. @bwilson4web can tell you more but the i3 is that Honda Hybrid with an aluminum drive module and CFRP body. I've always wanted one as a runaround but it was a little too expensive.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many concept cars are just done for attention.

Aluminum and other lighter weight materials have been done for longer than Honda. They just can't beat steel on cost. It is just too plentiful, and easier to work with. The cost can be justified for higher priced cars, but not efficient economy cars.

The i3 happened because of battery prices. Those dropped, and the i3 was cancelled. BMW is still using carbon fiber parts, but deemed investing in larger aluminum frame-CF body car production wasn't needed.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My wife's 2014 BMW i3-REx is a 72 mi, CCS-1 plug-in hybrid, with a 640 cc, two cylinder motorcycle engine driving a generator. It gets 39 MPG at 70 MPH with the 2.3 gallon (coded) gas tank it gives about 90 miles between truck stops. Hideously expensive when new at ~$52,000, there was an affordable lease program that let me buy mine for $29,000 with ~6,000 miles.

About aluminum, Tesla has been and expanding their aluminum frame cars. The recent additions of IDEA gigapress lets Tesla form one piece front or back assemblies in seconds. Each part eliminates nearly 100 pieces and over 50 assembly robots. It also leads to a lighter, more crashworthy body at a lower cost.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    PriusCamper likes this.
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Betcha it comes out looking like this:

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 6.35.18 AM.png heavy lids and all

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh... It's ugly. Not practical. If it is just for fun, then I would much rather have Miata or 86. Or... my favorite would be the classic Fairlady 240Z.

upload_2023-2-3_8-3-59.png

#10 Salamander_King, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  11. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    ugh why, just make an ev Z

austingreen likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    By larger, I meant higher production numbers. The i3 and i8 were made in low numbers. I guess it could be said that they were quasi-hand made. Moving production to a full factory line like they use for other models would increase production and lower cost per car, but that required a large investment up front. It wasn't worthwhile without other models on the aluminum/CF platform, and the weight savings for the cost weren't needed for other models.

13. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    But I bet it comes standard with a Remixed version of Boston's "More than a feeling!" that plays at 90 bd everytime you start it up.
    :ROFLMAO:

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks better than an aptera?

Roqu3 and austingreen like this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you loved the styles of the '80s.

The open grill giving it a dustbuster vibe, does it funneling air flow to the windshield actually help to reduce aerodynamic drag?

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More than likely to get around the open air buffeting that some convertibles didn't quite fix. I found this out between 2 different convertibles I rented, a VW Beetle turbo and a Mustang Convertible. The VW I rented in Atlanta for a couple of week for my job and loved tooling around. I could wear a hat, to protect the top of my bald head from the fierce southern sun, and it didn't get blown off. The Mustang convertible I rented in Hawaii a couple of weeks for work, well I lost a great hat and it was surprisingly noisy, the wind buffeting kind, compared to the VW. Then again I had to keep the top up most of the time because I found out it rains about every 20 minutes in the mountains of Hawaii :LOL:.

austingreen and Trollbait like this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which of those convertibles have a screen behind the head rests?

Does this Nissan have a roof?

18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :LOL:
    Pretty sure it doesn't which is what is meant by open concept. I saw no pictures where it had a roof. Usually convertibles pretty much make a big deal how the roof is stored or automatically folded within the rear.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nissan Max-Out Concept Is an Electric Future We Can Get Behind
    I can't say I even like the look, and its a show only vehicle, but they did build a prototype. Electric 2 seat roadster?

I'd say I am not in the market but I would prefer the looks and likely handling of the electric boxter or tesla roadster which should be here in 3 years at the latest.

2025 Porsche 718 Boxster EV Caught Testing Near Arctic Circle
    Tesla Roadster 2.0 To Improve On Every Metric Of 2017 Prototype

These will be expensive beasts, but nissan is unlikely to ever produce their roadster and if they did it would look different. I did the like the looks of the old 300zx convertible.

Honda never expected the insight to go into large production numbers, that they tried with the civic hybrid. It didn't matter much that they were losing money on each one, they were getting real world information about drivers and their ultra efficient hybrid.

We can look at corvette, porsche boxter, the original tesla roadster versus this one, and see materials and costs.

Corvette started with a steel frame and fiberglass panels, it has now morphed into an aluminum frame with carbon fiber replacing some of the steel and fiberglass parts, and specialty plastics where appropriate. A convertable is 3700 lbs, its this heavy because of all the equipment and the big v8.

Porsche's boxter which works on the same idea is about 44% aluminum and still mostly steel. Even with the big 400 hp 4L flat 6 engine it weighs over 500 lbs less than the corvette. equipment and engine are enough lighter that even with a lot of steel the car weighs less.

The original tesla roadster with 53 kwh pack was based on the light lotus and had aluminum frame and carbon fiber body. even with the heavy battery pack it weighed 1000 lbs less than the current corvette convertible. But does it matter, the upcoming one will likely weigh as much as the corvette, but will handle and accelerate better, have longer range, and be more efficient and probably cheaper to produce. Still it is rumored to keep the carbon fiber body on aluminum frame of the first one, but without lotus engineers trimming all the weight. Better tires and regen braking along with more powerful and efficient motors mean weight doesn't matter that much. It will cost more but they are trying to be in that exclusive supper car club.

A mix of mainly high strength steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber where it makes sense is what you need for a light enough hybrid or plug-in but still keep insurance and repair costs down. The current prius prime has this mix.

It is other stuff that has been making today's cars so heavy.

20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Except the Boxster (now the model 718) uses a 4 cylinder 2.0L turbocharged engine putting out 300 HP. Until you get to the GTS models with 400 HP 6 cylinder 4L normally aspirated priced through the stratosphere but oh what cars ...