1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drop in mileage in Mid-west winters

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alokeprasad, Nov 19, 2010.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude...
    Money pit??

Do you have any idea what the Prius Snobs are going to do with a comment like that? Heck...I took hate for calling it a small car!!

On a more serious note, a 45-MPG car isn't exactly what I would call a money pit. I'm pretty sure that you would get correspondingly less fuel efficiency out of any other econo-box out there, so fuel efficiency is a wash.
    Granted...24K is a little pricey for a "mid sized" sedan with the Prius's appointments, but depending on a few variables, you'll probably at least break even on this car, even if you stay in the 40's for MPG.
    Since you bought a IV---the math is a little skewed, but I don't know if I'd call it a money pit.

Now I'm going to step out of the way, cause if one of the rabid Prius cheerleaders out there catch you beating up on their precious little car, I don't want to be around when the screeching starts.

Good Luck!
    Hope things get better for you!!

2. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't understand this, have you had to pay for a lot of repairs? I'm assuming you bought a new vehicle, but a package IV with a lot of accessories can get expensive. What do you mean by money pit?

3. designeraccd

designeraccd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those poor poor folks out in California; yup...I feel a TEAR!!! :D

Got back last night from a 660 mile round trip-mostly hi speed freeway driving, plus some rather "exciting" light blowing snow, temps mostly in mid 20sF to lo 30sF.

Before leaving I had filled her and she actually calculated out at 50mpg, but primarily metro area driving. On the trip, with 3 people plus luggage-just over 42mpg, calculated. In each fillup my computer readout was off by about 2 mpg...sometimes high, sometimes low.

As a sidenote: based on how awful the stock Yokos seemed to behave on slick roads with light snow; have a strong suspcion I'll be heading over to the Tire Rack for some REAL all season tires soon! :(

OTOH, my car (a IV) with the adjustable lumbar was reasonably comfy, even compared to my departed ROOMY '05 Accord. Must say it rode better with 3 of us inside! JBL sound system sure sounds better using my CDs versus FM or trial satellite signal. DFO :)

4. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check out my edited post. I love my prius and the 45mpg is awesome but folks tend to forget that. Just keeping things in a friendly perspective.

5. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ;) Hope everyone gets my drift.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi DJ...,

Bought my 2010 in September too.

Being somewhat experienced, my Prius mileage has dropped from near 68 indicated to 58.0 at the end of this tank just today.

Allot of Prius mileage comes from avoiding stop and go during the warm up cycles. This is where Route Planning can save some gas. If you can take a route where your on a 30 to 45 mph road with few and short stops, then you will minimise the wasted gas. Its high speed, or stop and go for the first 10 minutes that makes it tough to get above 50 mpg.....

7. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup, stuff the grill with foam pipe insulation, you can find several threads about it with a search! It keeps the cold outside air from getting in the engine compartment so the engine gets warm quicker and stays warmer longer. By the way, the EBH adds about seven mpg's to my commute average, would be higher but no place to plug in at work, so the trip home is with a ice cold engine! But I can live with mpg's in the low 50's in 27 degree snowy weather!:p

8. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I checked another post, I don't think I have that option with where I live. The coldest it ever gets is 35ish, and even then that is extremely rare.

And donee, thanks for the tip on driving. I have a short commute so I am trying to maximize my MPG for work days.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry...I get it now...:D

10. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today was the coldest day since I have owned the Prius (-5 windchill). The MFD for my 31 mile trip to work barely got up to 47 MPG. I am usually between 52-58 in the morning. Hello winter.

Still, mid 40's MPG in that kind of cold.......that is amazing in my opinion.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use a lot of sarcastic humor, and often find myself in the same boat. I've asked Danny to add some [HUMOR][/HUMOR] and [SARCASM][/SARCASM] flags, but so far no luck.

Tom