1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

drop in mpg

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by bitch ima prius c, May 12, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently had a drop after the dealer did a 10ooo mile check up. It seems they lowered the tire pressure. Also I have been working from my home office ae my office gets renovated thus avoid noise etc so most of my driving is less than 2 miles which the car just runs on the ICE to warm the car up.

2. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used to bring my pancake compressor with me and fill the tires after they dropped them to the specs. The last time I was in I just told them 42 psi front and 40 psi rear and that's exactly what they did. So try and tell them up front next time.

RocMills and JMD like this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good idea thanks

4. bitch ima prius c

bitch ima prius c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    update: car will be going back next week for an mpg test. The technician told me that the onboard computer wasn't "that accurate"...

5. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ha. A 25 mpg difference is more than "not that accurate".

RocMills and ztanos like this.
  6. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just do a manual test on your own until it goes back in. Do a miles vs gallons. Just fill up to the first click, zero your mileage, drive, then re-fill to first click and calculate. At least it will give you an idea of what it really is, without relying on the computer.

RocMills and bitch ima prius c like this.
  7. C4me

C4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Just gotta love our CA toyota servicemen...Your says the onboard computer is not that acurate....mine says the cruise control wont slow the car down when going down hills....that all the responses on here mentioning using the A/C and tire preasure, some air hole being plugged in the back seat, etcccc this is depressing me LOL (kinda) I still owe $20,000 and feeling a bit like I bought a glorified golf cart. My car seems fine (2013) so far but if they are that frail where we cant let a shopping bag get sucked into a hole, or load to many pounds of luggage, drive in the snow/cold let anything stick out or cause drag. I think the C should be selling for $13,000 tops hehehehe

8. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Aside from the battery vent, all those are things that will cause mpg drops in any vehicle. You just notice it in the c more, because a 10% drop in mpg for a car that gets 25 mpg is only 2.5mpg, while a 10% drop for the c is 5 mpg. The instant mpg feedback also magnifies that. The only other difference is that the battery is less efficient in cold weather.

9. bitch ima prius c

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Headed to the dealer....wish me luck!

minkus and ztanos like this.
  10. bitch ima prius c

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Back from the dealer and had a 50 mile test drive. Tech states that I get 56mpg. They did reset the trip odometer. Interestingly, the trip mpg and main screen mpg differ! they couldn't fix or explain. I have to admit, the initial owner glow that came from this car is waning.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're getting 20-30ish and he got 56?

12. bitch ima prius c

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yes, but prior to the dealer test drive, they reset the trip, evidently, that does something magic....

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what jsfabb said to do in post #26.

bitch ima prius c likes this.
  14. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not following. Which mpg are you talking about: trip A/B or "from start"? What's the "main screen"?

Also, is any of this confirmed by calculating actual mpg between fill-ups (miles since last fill-up/gallons added 'til fuel pump auto-shutoff)? Even if the car's computer is way off, calculating your mpg that way should still give you something above 25 mpg.

15. bitch ima prius c

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    no, I haven't calculated it myself. I guess I'm referring to the "from start" screen, sorry to be vague. I'm not very technical, or savvy. I just want to get good mileage and not regret buying a hybrid.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    In order to confirm whether or not you're getting good mileage, you really should measure it both via manual calculations and via the trip computer for an entire tankful. Better yet, track your mileage for each tank.

As I said earlier, short trips will kill your mileage.

17. bitch ima prius c

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I will be calculating on my next tank, and I really want to thank everyone for their help. I appreciate it so much.

minkus likes this.
  18. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You're welcome! We're just trying to get to the bottom of your mpg issues, since it seems the dealer wasn't very helpful. I'd recommend filling up when you have half a tank left or less, and tell us what you calculated vs. what the trip counter (miles/mpg since last fill-up) says. Length of trips and any conditions that might help or hurt mpg will also be helpful (speed, highway vs. stop & go, hills, etc.).

For the screen, my best guess is the "drive info" screen: http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/long-term/2012-toyota-prius-c/Temperature-display-thumb-717x477-127331.jpg

As far as I can remember (too lazy to walk outside and check), the only place your "from start" mpg is displayed is at the top center, and it's on all the screens. If you can take a picture of the screen that shows your mpg in the 20s or 30s after a trip, that'd be helpful. The drive info screen I linked to above would also be useful to see, as would the one that shows instant mpg and 5-minute averages in a blue bar graph.

19. bitch ima prius c

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ok, one more question, and truly, I appreciate all of you....ok, are your mpg stats consistent on trip odometers and from start menu, or do they vary? Mine are very inconsistent.

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    explain please...