1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dropping Mileage/Battery Damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Popeye, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My wife drives an '05 Prius. When we first got the car we looked through all of the information here on gas mileage and were patient as our mileage improved. When we hit the magic 5K miles we were averaging between 46 and 48mpg in mixed driving. At about 7K my wife was rear-ended by a Ford F-350. She was stopped in traffic and the truck came around a curve too fast to stop. The driver managed to throw his vehicle up the embankment and pass the four cars stopped behind her, but he couldn't keep the truck up on the embankment and came down, hitting the Prius. Pretty much wiped out the left rear quarter panel from door frame to hatch frame in the back (lucky for him neither of the frames were damaged), along with the lights and bumper. The impact pushed in the quarter panel about 8", but was not hard enough to cause any airbags to deploy.

Toyota had the car for six weeks, and returned it looking like new. The reverse beep came back, so I presume the computer was disconnected during some of that time (makes sense since the 12V battery is right there). We've put another 5K miles on the car since then, and can't get mileage even close to what we had before the accident. In highway driving we still get decent mileage, it's easy to get 46mpg driving however we like, and 50mpg is regularly reachable with a little care regarding speed and accel/decel. But in city driving/stop-and-go highway we can't get the mileage out of the 30s, which results in an overall mileage that is barely 40mpg (on a good tank). We live in the Bay Area, driving conditions are pretty consistent, not using the AC even though it's summer, etc.

I've asked Toyota to look at it, and they say everything looks fine. I can only propose three problems; increased rolling resistance (from a bent frame?) - but don't notice any symptoms (and the highway mileage would argue against this), impact damage to the HV battery - which is used heavily in city driving; or possibly loss of gasoline in vapor/liquid through a leak since this is in the area of the gas fill - but no odor noticeable.

I'm looking for any thoughts/experience in this regard. I'd think it would be pretty easy to perform a load test on the battery, see if internal damage in the battery is reducing capacity, but our Toyota tech says the computer says everything is fine and doesn't want to dig any deeper. Anybody know if Toyota has a procedure for this? I've also considered trying to do my own using CANView and logging the data. Maybe run the battery down from 75% SOC to 25% SOC in EV mode at a steady speed? But I'd need some reference data I don't have, so has anyone got a procedure and data I might be able to use?

Or, any other thoughts on a big drop in mileage following an accident? Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V is actually on the right side of the car so you're fine.

The impact may have affected the HV battery given that highway mpg seems consistent (since the engine is running anyway) while lower city mileage means the engine is running more often because it's using the battery less often. It's possible that the fuel tank may have been replaced? If so, you got a new bladder.

You could check the wheel alignment although that should affect highway mpg as well as city.

3. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Popeye @ Sep 7 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]315587[/snapback]</div>

On reflection, I only have several negatives and just one positive thought to offer, but I'll offer them all anyway.

Other threads on this board have discussed significant mileage drops after memory re-flash, presumed to be due to loss of data tables that the on-board computer cumulates and then uses to optimize the running of the ICE, for the particular circumstances under which the car is being driven (age, fuel, air density, temp, etc.) This is not unique to the Prius but will affect almost all modern cars to some degree. My Ford, for example, loses its memory whenever the 12 volt battery is disconnected, and has to fumble around a bit for the next few starts until it learns how to idle smoothly again. I don't know whether or not a simple 12-volt disconnect will force the Prius to lose that accumulated data, and 5k miles is plenty of time to re-aquire it. So, loss of "memory" might have occurred and might have depressed city mileage for a tank or two, but would not explain extended mileage losses.

On the concept of a gas leak, I think you can rule that right out, if you are reading the mileage off the MFD and not calculating it based on fillups. My understanding is that the gas guage and the gas mileage are separate concepts on the Prius, e.g., if someone siphoned gas out of your car, the gauge would drop (measured by tank sender) but mileage would not (calculated by computer based on amount of fuel that has been injected into the engine). I could be wrong about that, but that's my impression.

If the frame is bent enough to give significantly higher rolling resistance, you ought to see unusual wear on your tires by now, e.g., if you're grinding down the tread on the left rear tire enough to drop your mileage this much, that tire ought to look noticeably different by now. Measure tread depth on the two rear wheels to put this issue to rest, I think.

I can only think of one redneck (non-shop) battery load test that might be repeatable across cars, which would be to get two '05s warmed up, leave all accessories off, count the battery bars, flip the AC to max cool with recirculate, and see how long it takes before the ICE comes on. Repeat a few times to get an average. I don't think that would be terribly temperature dependent (because you're asking for max AC output regardless of temp), but I'm not sure of that. In any event, you can see what I'm after -- using the max AC as a standard battery load, getting several '05 owners to try this to see whether ICE-restart times appear consistent, and if so, to proceed.

That'll only test battery capacity at slow drawdown, not maximum discharge rate, but it's something. But if we could get a half-dozen '05 owners to play along, and if the time-to-ICE-restart were reasonably consistent (conditional on battery SOC), and if yours were the clear low outlier, you'd have a case for taking the car back for a systematic battery load test. You have a case for taking it back for an evalulation of the battery now, but this might provide enough to get the dealer to take the issue seriously. I mean, I have to assume that the Prius can accommodate reduced battery capacity as the battery ages, so a "prematurely aged" battery wouldn't necessarily raise red flags, would it?

Ah, actually, arguably the better test, less dependendent on original SOC, is to turn on the radio first (because this test is going to take a while), turn on max AC recirculate, ignore the first ICE startup, then track the 2nd through Nth intervals between ICE run times. Might as well track ICE run times as well. A combination of short ICE runtimes and short inter-ICE-run intervals would both suggest reduced battery capacity.

In a nutshell, I'm suggesting that you get the car thoroughly warmed up, then sit in your car for an hour with the AC on, and track the times at which the ICE turns on and off, with max AC on recirculate, and radio playing. Toss out the first startup: so, start the one-hour clock from the moment that the ICE shuts down the first time. Then, calculate mean ICE run time and mean inter-run-time interval. Record the exterior temp while you're at it, I guess. Get half a dozen other '05 owners to do the same. See if your run times and inter-run-time intervals are noticeably shorter than others'.

In an even smaller nutshell, if your battery is really hosed, it ought to be enough merely to count the number of ICE restarts in an hour. Shorter invervals = more restarts in a hour. That signficantly reduces the data reporting burden, if we can get someother owners to cooperate.

So, drive 10 minutes, then sit in your car, listening to the radio, with max AC recirculate on, start the clock after the first ICE startup/shutdown, and count the number of ICE startups that occur in the next hour. Oh, make a note of the tempeature, too. That's not a big strain. Then, e.g., if everybody else says 7-9 per hour, and you say 15, then yeah, that's your problem right there. (And if everybody else is all over the map, the test is useless. )

If the technical experts on this board think the max-ac battery load test is plausible, then I can at least see if I get consistent ICE restart times, running max ac recirculate, in my '05 this weekend, and report back to you. If there's a lot of variance for an individual car, I'm less convinced that this is a useful test. I'm hoping that a knowledgeable reader will chime in here with further advice.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well, chogan gave you a lot of work to do there, and I agree that these are good ways to confirm that the HV battery is still happy. But for all that, you could just go to a Toyota shop and ask them to measure the internal resistance of each module with the THHT. If all modules are close and like 30 milliohms each (I am stealing Hobbit's data there), no worries. They might want to charge money for this, but you could try to bribe the mechanic with a bag of cookies. I have had good luck with that approach.

Not quite ready to abandon the 'bent-frame' idea though. One would hope that checking for this would be an integral part of the rebuilding process, but one never knows... It could certainly be more noticeable at low-speed driving than on the highway, because rolling resistance is a bigger slice of the 'energy pie' at low speeds. It is not hard to measure frame skew to within 1/8 inch yourself, if you have a nice flat smooth floor and are willing to get on your knees and measure the diagonals very carefully. Wanna know how?

5. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 7 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]315948[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. Far better to get the shop to test it properly. I only suggested counting recharge cycles /hour under AC load as a plausible (but clearly inferior) do-it-yourself test.

6. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

That sucks, that would really piss me off. If you need any data I can get from my 06 (I can do the AC thing or whatever) let me know, i'm more than willing to help.

7. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 7 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]315948[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks everyone for all of the information. Now that I know what test to ask for in Toyota Speak, I'll talk with my tech and see if I can't get them to test the cells. If not, then there's a pretty large pod of Prii in the neighborhood, I think I can prevail on one or more neighbors to loan me their's for an hour and run the load test using the AC. I can probably even park them side-by-side, removing a lot of the environment variables from the equation.

It may take me a while to get it done, but I'll post a follow-up when I do.

Thanks again for the suggestions.