1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove 2011 II into dealership for a cosmetic repair. Now it won't start P2118

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cora Devoira, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Cora Devoira

Cora Devoira New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So it's a very real possibility that the battery just needs to be replaced, which would be normal.

bisco likes this.
  2. Cora Devoira

Cora Devoira New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update 10/25/21: Toyota dealership of Muncie, Indiana has agreed to return the car to working order. Service department is attempting to lay blame upon the windshield repair subcontractor or the body shop in Ohio where the car was initially repaired.

It will be interesting to see if the new ECM actually does the trick, because they were not open to alternative diagnoses outlined here by you wonderful people.

After the car runs again, I am debating if I should hold Toyota accountable for attempting to charge me $1K for this comedy of errors.

bisco likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The will fix it and change fuses if necessary. I would sneak a mark on the ecu and see if it actually ends up changed.

vvillovv and Cora Devoira like this.
  4. Cora Devoira

Cora Devoira New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: Of course, you all were right: it was NOT the ECM. I would love your input on this as well:

Magically, when I finally convinced them that I was never going to pay for a new ECM, they found "internal corrosion" in the wiring to the ECM. Notes are attached. I've also attached the mechanic's original notes where he diagnoses the ECM.

I asked them to prove they actually ordered the part, because they claimed that it was installed and then removed when it didn't fix the problem. They presented a print out with the part listed (to me, did not prove ordering it) and the ECM in a repackaged box.

Two questions:
    • Is this even feasible: to have installed a new ECM, and then reinstall the old one?
    • Claimed to have checked the voltage prior to diagnosis - what could have possibly changed?

Attached Files:

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is easy to change the ecm so I would assume they did it and changed it back later as stated. Odds are they found a fuse that was blown or a poor connection but the mechanic was too embarrassed to admit it. He may well have swapped a cable. Regardless it was cheap for them and the mechanic probably worked for free on the callback.

Overall you win and they will think twice when they see you walk in.

Cora Devoira likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The proofs in da puddin as they say. Not only the shifting blame merry go round, add to that the parts list and "test with known working replacement part" issue in the repair manual, merry go round, with parts invoices ready and available.
    Harder and harder by the day to find a steelership that doesn't have all the used car salesman tricks down to a tee and use them all on a daily basis. Goes double for body shops and insurance companies. This may sound extreme to some, but excuses are the order of the day, and most companies have the entire list down pat.
    Then there is the flip side of the coin, when honest shops get the shaft from customers who are experienced with the merry go round tactics and threaten to sue the honest mechanic for issues that were known preexisting.

It's not only the automotive industry either.

edit: I could sure use some help convincing the misses of this problem, as I've fail in my attempts during the term of our matrimonial bliss. :rolleyes:

#26 vvillovv, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Cora Devoira likes this.
  7. Cora Devoira

Cora Devoira New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This doesn't sound extreme to me. I have worked since I was 14 years old, and bought this Prius when I was 20. Most men in the automobile industry see me as a mark, and I'm sick of it. They attempted to extort the wrong person this time.

Toyota of Muncie held my car for nearly two months. And I drove it there running perfectly. I have lost wages and time to their unscrupulous and poorly-executed tomfoolery. This was a bad plan.

bisco likes this.
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Apologies, was not my intention to add my own problems into your space while the feelings are still strong, I hope I can learn from that myself too, because I'm still reeling from my recent experiences too Can using CHG Mode be more efficient? | Page 5 | PriusChat and I do try to keep from revealing just how deep the cuts have gone, which I may have failed at badly in my post above.

I only found your thread yesterday and read through the whole thing with interest, as I'm stuck in the middle of all that kind of tomfoolery myself. (It took me I guess 20 minutes to remember the last movie I watched that had that word in it) Good Will Hunting?

I was trying my best to say, I'm glad you found help here untangling the tangled up mess all the shops that got you car put you through.
    he and many others have also helped me more than words can describe.

Cora Devoira likes this.
  9. Cora Devoira

Cora Devoira New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh no friend, thank you for your interest in this mess and meeting me here in the palace of righteousness. ;) My rage originated long before your post, and will outlast every car dealership on this earth. In the words of God, There is no shame in negotiating with the merchant. And now this merchant will pay.

My gratitude for PriusChat also knows no bounds. I would have felt so much less confident without this help.

THANK YOU!!!!

PriusChat people are the antidote to all that's evil. Am I going too far? In a post-truth capitalistic world, I think not. :ROFLMAO:

vvillovv likes this.