1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove from BC (Canada) to Las vegas pulling a trailer

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by schmuly, Oct 13, 2013.

1. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    We drove from our house in BC, to our vacation home down by Vegas (well closer to Death Valley Junction). Left after work on Wed. and cleared US customs by 4pm.
    My wife drove the Prius and I drove a 2001 Outback also pulling a trailer (4x8 with loading ramp) I had wood, tools, chairs, and a ladder. (650lbs)
    She had a Kamparoo Cub tent trailer (530lbs) she said she didn't notice the trailer as she pulled it.
    Our gas mileage did drop as she only got 35mpg (US) on the 2100km trip. It was almost all passes and valleys in the mountains and not major wind. The outback only got 19.5 mpg (us) on the trip. We arrived at 5:50 am Fri morning. The reason we took two cars this trip is we will use the Prius on the hiway outings and the outback on the off roads ...and there is lots of that.

Emcguy and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    It would have been interesting to measure brake pad thickness before and after. I'm told this is one of the reasons towing isn't recommended.

3. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    We used the brakes no more than usual. There was less stopping on the trip, than driving around a town/city.
    The Kamparoo that we have is only 530lbs or 240kg. I wasn't in the prius, as a passenger, so if you deduct my weight the prius was only pulling about 140kg extra and that was on 2 extra wheels.
    If we had driver, passenger, loaded with gear, and plus a trailer then I could see it being a problem. We were within the GVWR for the prius, and on two extra wheels. The book shows payload is 915lbs for the v and the trailer, wife, and some clothes weighed less than 700lbs in total. So if you put the trailer on top of the prius we would still be in spec. No honestly it wasn't any different than having a couple passengers in the car and the weight was on an extra axle.
    When the prius is used as a taxi, and you put 3 people and luggage in it ...that was harder on it, than our trip.

I can't see pulling a light low profile trailer with no passengers in the car a problem.

WE are having a blast down here, the Prius for the paved roads and our Subaru Outback for everywhere else in the desert.
    Colin

4. mountaineer2012

mountaineer2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking that the braking bit may not be too far off as most of your braking is handled by the electric engine. With the extra 650lbs the inertia of the vehicle and the load may throw off the electric braking system. Basically you are converting your inertia into additional energy for your battery. With the extra load you maybe asking too much of the system and while I doubt you could overload it you could be prematurely affecting something in the electric drive system which may lead to problems down the road. I think my logic is sound but I'm no engineer. someone else want to chime in?

5. BuckyB

BuckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 650 lb trailer was towed by the Subaru.

6. mountaineer2012

mountaineer2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Either way - the logic still applies.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There should be no 'wear' from regen.

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Subaru can tow 1,000 pounds without trailer breaks, but it is still hard on this boxer motor! As for the Prius V it states not to tow in the manual. Why would you go against what Toyota states? It may have moved a 500 pounds plus trailer, but in the long run, you may have shortened the life of parts on the Prius. Trucks are made to tow, not wagons and not hybrids.