1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove Home 06 With 144k Today/Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joeman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should expect that the new traction battery uses the same technology as the original.

I have never been disappointed with 12V batteries bought from my local Toyota dealer. The price of this battery varies widely because some dealers are not ashamed to charge well over Toyota MSRP. I suggest you call around and see what your local dealers pricing is. Recently, the made in Japan GS Yuasa battery is being sold with Toyota TrueStart stickers which qualify the battery for an 84 month prorata warranty.

Optima is an alternative but I've seen many recent posts from less-than-thrilled purchasers of that battery. The issues typically are 1) the new battery is received in a semi-discharged state and 2) the battery has been sitting around for months. Of course the two issues are related. You can find this sold on Amazon.com as well as at some local resellers.

Exide recently started selling a suitable battery, John (Britprius) was the first to call this to my attention. I bought one in May 2013 for the 2007. My experience with that battery can be found here:
    Another battery for the Prius. | PriusChat

Basically, the battery needed to be charged before installation but once installed, it has been fine, my daughter has not had any problems over the past 10 months. I took home the GS Yuasa battery that had been in her car, charged it up, and it is ready for reinstallation when I need yet another 12V battery.

I also gave her a portable jump start device and a 12V battery charger and showed her how to use both, but she hasn't needed them since she has learned to keep the doors closed and the cabin lights off...

2. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great info, the pre inspection garage said my 12 volt battery needed replacing, but like someone said,going to wait for signs. But to me it's always good to know what's best, in case you do need a battery at some point.

3. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I have read on here, the Toyota pink coolant is what the Prius needs.
    What about other pinks? Instead of 22 bucks at dealer, the Beck/Arnley is 18 bucks at local parts store.
    The dealership is 20 miles from my house, the local place is one mile. Is there a huge difference in performance , and can they be mixed? image.jpg

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know the Beck/Arnley coolant. I would stay with the Toyota SLLC, unless it is a substantial inconvenience for you to obtain that. The Toyota SLLC performs extremely well, I find that the drained factory-fill coolant at 100K miles is nice and clear.

joeman likes this.
  5. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Patrick,
    I felt a little funny buying the Beck/Arnley coolant. Took it back unopened to local parts store today, they look at me funny. Got my money back and went to Toyota and got the real coolant.
    I really couldn't find anything pro or con about the Beck/Arnley coolant online. Thanks for your advice, when in doubt, I will stay with a proven product like The Toyota coolant.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Joeman,

The services you are doing are not anything that's pressing and needs attention right away. You can get the parts/fluids anytime you are in the area of the dealership, you shouldn't have to make a special trip, especially if it's a 20 mile drive. But it seems you are finding an excuse to drive your Prius, so I'm not going to stop you.

7. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha,
    Actually my work had me half way toward the dealership, so it was maybe 10 miles from there.
    Was on my 06 Tundra. Speaking of driving the Pruis, looks like a 5 minute trip in one direction is not really good mpg, but probably not bad on the car itself?
    Understandably the mpg are worst on first start up of day.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. The engine needs to run to heat up the catalytic converter and engine timing is retarded when the engine is cold. Both of those characteristics result in relatively poor fuel economy for the first 5 minute bar.