1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove off of Curb then Red Triangle, VSC, (!), and MFD Drivetrain warning came on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CerebralUnit, Feb 23, 2016.

1. CerebralUnit

CerebralUnit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was driving out of a parking lot and my front right tire came off of a curb at about 15mph. The red triangle of death among the other warning lights listed above immediately came on. Since then, the gas engine has been constantly running, the HV cooling fan runs most of the time (but sometimes shuts off). I also can no longer set cruise control.

My 12v Battery is brand new and was replaced by the local Toyota dealership just 2 weeks ago. I went to O'Reilly and I don't think their scanner is Prius aware, as it showed no error codes, which, according to the employee, likely means it has to do with the Hybrid System.

Additionally, there was one instance where I sat at a drive-through window for about 10 minutes after which the car ran quite strangely. It had trouble accelerating at low speeds. I pulled over, turned the car off and on, let the battery charge (as it appeared to be completely drained) and it accelerated fine after that. The miles per gallon appear to be the same as before.

Am I doomed to hear that I need to replace the HV battery, or might this be a bad connection that caused the sensors to freak out when I went off of that curb? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I only want to spend the fortune on diagnostics and repair if absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance!

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even if there were no codes and "everything seemed fine," I would strongly suggest you have a competent mechanic, look at the car -- especially the undercarriage, sway/torsion bars, etc., because some of that stuff can be easily messed up and throw no codes and have no obvious signs of trouble until something comes apart at high speed or you wear out your tires in 3,000 miles.

Been there, done that, more than once....:cry:

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! Great advice from the many experts here, and, bearing in mind the low ground-clearance of the Prius, the only thing this (non-expert) can recommend is to write a stern note to yourself: "Self! …take extra care when driving off kerbs!" (sorry, but someone had to say it! :rolleyes: ) Good luck, and I think you've come to the perfect place for all things Prius-related! (y)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe damaged a wheel speed sensor.

goldfinger and Patrick Wong like this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A failed wheel sensor is a reasonable possibility since the VSC and ((!)) lights are on. The impairment of the skid control ECU results in the warning icon in the MFD.

Given all of those warning lights, there definitely are DTC that can be retrieved. Get Mini VCI if you wish to DIY.

goldfinger likes this.
  6. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I highly doubt running off a curb is going to destroy your HV batt. I think the wheel sensor or bad connection (something got jarred loose) theories are far more likely.

The best way to know for sure is to get the codes pulled by someone with a Toyota scanner (dealership will charge $100 for this, most likely, but sometimes you can talk them into a free scan. I usually go to a local Toyota mechanic with whom I have built some rapport and where there is mutual trust). You're not going to know much of anything until you have the codes.