1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Drove the Mirai

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by 3PriusMike, Aug 31, 2015.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got an invitation to drive the Murai at my local dealer a couple of weeks ago. So I reserved a spot and went last week and drove it.

I'm still against hydrogen fueling, in general, due to the many reasons I and others have mentioned on numerous threads. But the car was nice, drove nice, etc. However, I could only drive on slower side streets...not allowed to go on the freeway...because they wouldn't have enough fuel for everyone! (And they have to be able to drive it back to the refuel station.)

All the things I liked had nothing to do with the power train...just nicer things taken from higher end Toyotas than the Prius. Comfortable leather power seats...automatically slide back when you power off. Side mirrors tilt down when you shift to reverse. AC/heat display . Nicer instrument panel display, etc.

Trunk space...not that great, more like a 2001 Prius. No spare tire. Rear seating head room (no problem for me) but a person that rode with me was 6'0" and complained.

As for the fuel cell. The Hydrogen fueling connection looks like a larger pneumatic air connector.

Some of the most important issues...how long does it take to warm up...couldn't tell, of course, because, the car was in constant use with a stream of test drivers.

But the car was good enough that the 6' guy in the car with me is getting one...hopes to be the first from the dealer. I think he'll keep his Prius as a backup though.

Toyota's priorities: When I arrived the parking space at the L2 charger was open so I decided to charge my PIP. Charger didn't work! I went in and told them and they said...oh sorry the breaker must be shut off. They turned it on for me.

Mike

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what needs to warm up? were they knowledgable about it, able to answer your questions/concerns?

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No spare? That leaves a lot of guys here out. :p

Trollbait and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They knew quite a bit, but I forgot to ask about the warmup time. H2 fuel cells are known to not be able to output at full power until after some warmup time...maybe 1-2 minutes, maybe 5 minutes.

Mike

bisco likes this.
  5. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, under the carpet in the trunk was a pump, similar to PIP to inflate a flat.

Mike

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what sort of cabin heating do they have?

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the first hand impressions!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So how many hydrogen stations are in Texas . . . near the new Toyota HQ?

Bob Wilson

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I couldn't find anything in the owners manual on that but the car can be equipped with electric seat and steering wheel heaters.

I did find this about cold temperatures (Pg 191):

■Starting the fuel cell system in cold temperatures ●When the power switch is pressed and the fuel cell system starts (P. 188) during cold temperatures, the fuel cell stack is quickly warmed up using the waste heat during power generation. ●When the temperatures is cold, it may take some time until the “READY” indicator turns on. ●The power output will be temporarily limited until the fuel cell system reaches full operating temperature. In extremely cold temperatures, the “READY” indicator may take more than 10 seconds to illuminate.

10. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All 4 seats have heaters. The steering wheel is heated. Not sure how the airflow heat is generated.

But I did get to see the waste water get ejected after the ride. You have to push a button to do this.

Mike

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's gonna take more heat than that to popularize these things, but i guess they have 20 or 30 years to work on it.:cool:

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify, the process of pressing the "H2O" button is to expunge the excess water prior to parking & turning the car off in a place where you don't want water accumulating below the vehicle (e.g. your garage in the winter time). Otherwise, it will just spit the water under normal driving conditions.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    According to the owners manual, Pg 189: When the fuel cell system is stopped, water is automatically purged from the tailpipe. To minimize water accumulation at parking garages, etc., purge can be done manually before parking.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes exactly. This is so that it doesn't automatically purge all over your garage.You can expel the water on the road or alley before parking.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry I was replying to this part of your text and should have deleted the rest. I'm not sure the car expels water while driving like an a/c system does. Here's another statement from Pg 97 of the OM about FCV characteristics:

■Tailpipe ●When the power switch is turned off and the fuel cell system is stopped (P. 189) after driving, exhaust water is discharged. Be careful when standing behind the vehicle to avoid dripping or spraying. ●It is possible to manually purge the exhaust. This may be desirable, for instance, before parking in a garage. This is done by pressing the H2O switch. (P. 189)

16. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We stopped in the parking lot, pushed the button and got out to watch. We saw a few drips from under the trunk, maybe an ounce and said, "that's all?" Then about 5 seconds later it started spitting water a bit more violently...more like when you drain condensation from an air compressor and still have 20-30 psi in the tank. Maybe 4-8 ounces.

Mike

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can see that being a problem, if you have to 'remember' to do it.

lensovet and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging by the amount of water on a test drive, I doubt it'll hold all that water on a road trip before it purges it (say you don't turn the car off for 200 miles). It seems odd.

You don't. It's just Toyota thinking ahead of time and covering their bases. The car will purge the water when you park. The button just allows you to choose to purge it before you turn it off so that you don't ice up your driveway.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i meant. if you forget, it's all over your driveway or garage floor.

lensovet and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hate when that happens, need a system like this for my AC!