1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

drove the prius to big bear mountain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Katebell1977, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ok guys my Pri rocked in the mountains yesterday.

after driving from newport beach to big bear lake and back home the average mpg was 40. We did have chains on the car too i hope this works you can see my video edited on youtube i am katebell1977 on there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobEZX05MjQ

hope you like it

anyway it was my first time seeing snow i am 30 so sorry about my cornyness it was fun though :cool::D

2. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i went the other week and got 44 ish.. going up i averaged around 45mpg. Prius had enough power going up..

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great to see you having fun, Katebell.

I just don't have the same reaction, I suppose, when I look out and see several inches of that winter sunshine laying on my driveway. Still, it does seem to be "right" to have the seasons and the regular changes to remind us of the whole cycle of life.

I remember living in L.A. and wondering at the "oddity" of warm January evenings. Driving up over the Grapevine was a welcome change. Going to Big Bear was like a vacation!

BTW, I think that Silver Pine Mica is just made to look good in snow! I'm sure all of those SPM Clubbers will agree it is the color for all seasons.

4. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

What highway did you take? We had to take 38 because 18 was closed. I think our mpg would have been better but someone did not want to go ask how to get to the 38 from the 18 where he drove towards. its ok though. We are still breaking our pri in because it has like 3500 on it now. I am hoping to get 44 soon. how did you do it?

5. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i took the 38 also.. all the way from the 10 freeway.. got off... drove a little local before entering into the 38 highway.... got into snow summit .... the distance increased by about 15 miles taking this route... i was driving from LA county. Going up the mountain i averaged bout 34 mpg... ... on the highway i was driving about 80mph ...

but i went last week which was probably a little warmer than now... i only have 1600 miles on my car right now

6. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yea i bet last week was warmer. did you have chains? we had the cable ones with tensioners on them. and two kids in back with their crap :)

7. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    me and my brother... my brohter is like 110 lbs.. hahaha.. i'm at 160 lbs...

no chains...

if i took the 18 route.. then i would have to put on chains.. so i decided to take the 38.. cause it wasn't requiring chains that day..

how much was your chain... where did you get it from?

8. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know my husband got them at Kragen i think they were like 40 bucks

here is the link for them and he got the tensioner because if the chains break and you dont have it, the chains will break the axle while the tensioner help them to break away from the car without damaging it terribly. that is what the chain people said at the check point because my husband thought they did not fit and the snow chain people asked to see them and they showed him how to put them on because they fit tight. He said the tensioner was 4 bucks and the guy at kragen said he did not need it and the other guy whispered to get it because it helps keep the noise down on the chains.

http://www.partsamerica.com:80/ProductList.aspx?CategoryCode=3359