1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drum brake fitment issues!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MattyD., Sep 30, 2022.

1. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    **09 with 230k, pnw so no salt.

So iv serviced disc brakes before but never drum brakes. Iv noticed on long steep decents, the front brakes heat up pretty bad and a few times have started smoking and gotten pretty mushy. This led me to check on the condition of the rear brakes, as I suspected, one of the shoes was almost down to metal while the other was maybe 40% left. I got a kit from oriellys and replaced the hardware and shoes, took me forever but I finally got everything in correctly (I think??) Thanks to chrisfix. When I was satisfied that I had everything installed correctly, the drum wouldn't fit over the pads! I bled the cylinder slightly so it's not pushing the pads out, the spinner is tightened as far as possible but the drum still won't fit. I checked the brake shoe box and they are supposed to work with 199mm drums.

Maybe I should spend a few extra dollars on oem shoes? Or can someone point out something I did wrong? I checked it over 98 times and broke my back 3 times so hopefully it's just the wrong size shoes at the fault of the fault of the new kid at oriellys. Any input is appreciated!

Also ignore the paint coming off the springs, this is due to spraying everything down with brake cleaner.

Attached is a screenshot of the exact shoes I used and what it currently looks like. Screenshot_20220930-185511_Chrome.jpg 20220930_183157.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Take your hands around the shoes and push them in do you see them going in an extra couple millimeters when you do that with your hands and when you let them go they come right back out? This is what I generally find goes on with the drum brake business every time I do them and on the Prius this hasn't been yet but they're the same as the Corolla as far as lay out . Usually on my Corollas and whatnot I can get the drum on their kind of cockeyed so where I only have to use my thumb to push on the shoe that the drum is not riding on yet once I push that in I'm able to twist the drum with my hand a little bit pushing with my thumb on the shoe and the mess slides on. And then once I have it on I rotate it around a couple times and tap on it with my rubber mallet and all of that and then as I'm rotating I listen for the rub rub sounds of the drum touching some part of the shoe and if I don't have that then I make the adjustment little by little till I just get the sound of the drum starting to rub on the shoes and then I give it one or two more clicks but the wheel on rotate it by hand a few times do the other side. This may not be how some do it It works from all of my drum brake cars and it's about time for me to put rear shoes and probably new drums on the back of my '09 any minute

MattyD. likes this.
  3. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I tried that, but there's absolutely no play, as in I can't squeeze the shoes tighter together. I can tell that it's pretty dang close, I could probably force it on with a hammer but that would tear up the edges of the shoe. I did notice that there is a slight lip on the drum, im assuming normal wear, but it's very slight, I don't think that's the issue but again, I have no experience here. Maybe taking some sandpaper and cleaning up that edge? Maybe cleaning the rust and a bit of that lip would do the trick

4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The wheel cylinder is not fully compressed.
    The top ears of the brake shoes, should be very close to the wheel cylinder. (C & D)
    Also, both brake shoes should be touching the adjustment bar. (A & B)

On the annotated picture, of your original picture,
    1) Note that the space near A.
    Both brake shoes should be touching the adjustment bar. (A & B)

2) Note the space near C.
    The top ears of the brake shoes, should be very close to the wheel cylinder. (C & D)

I haven't worked on Prius rear drum brakes.
    You ?should? be able to fully compress the wheel cylinder.
    Bleeding Prius brakes can be a PITA. So, I don't recommend loosening the bleeder screw, to lessen the pressure. That's also a great way to let air in, and then get soft/non-working brakes.

A good video:
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Xb6WvCuCE
    How To Remove & Replace Rear Brake Shoes & Drums On Toyota | Prius Gen II Yaris Matrix Corolla Camry
    EyeOnAiman
    Jul 31, 2019

Pictures:

Annotated picture, of the original picture posted.
    Prius2009RearBrakePic1m.jpg

Note the correct gaps for the top brake ears.
    And the lack of any gap between the brake shoes, and the adjustment bar.
    Prius2009RearBrakePic2.jpg

Prius2009RearBrakePic3.jpg

Good Luck!

#4 prius16, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A common problem people run into on the front brakes is they fail to disconnect the 12v battery, which means the brakes are still active even when the car is not turned on so when they remove the calipers the position of the hydraulic pistons extend out and then they can't get the calipers with new pads to fit. This sounds like the same problem you have, though I'm not sure if that happens in same way with rear brakes?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even with 12 volt power, of course the brake system is not normally applying fluid pressure just because it can, or else the brakes would be normally dragging.

The trouble people sometimes have (and yes, it can happen at the rears as well as the fronts) is if the system happens to do its automatic self test at a time when they have a brake taken apart. That's bad news if it happens; it doesn't just make the brake harder to fit back together. As long as nobody's fingers or other body parts are in the way at the time, it will just push the pistons right out, dump a mess of brake fluid, and require the caliper or wheel cylinder to be reassembled, and the system refilled and bled for air. That can set the project back, and if any body parts were in the way, the setback can be longer.

In a Gen 3, that self test takes place like clockwork 90 seconds after the car has been turned off. I don't know for sure the rules for when a Gen 2 does it.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No road salt, but just how close to the ocean are you on the "Oregon Coast"? I lived in San Francisco for several years in the eighties and the Corolla I was driving at the time developed a mild coating of rust on the suspension components, brakes, and so forth. Presumably from moisture condensing onto it from the fog and generally cold wet air. That car then moved to hot dry SoCal, and the rust never got any worse after that.