1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drum doesn't fit back in after brake shoe replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ruming, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced shoes, right rear fits just fine, left rear drum doesn't want to go back.

Adjuster at shortest position, assembly should be okay (I assume). The shoes seem to be sitting at parking brake lever, the right shoe could go in 2mm further (shown in picture). Loosened parking brake nut under dashboard all the way out, it helped, but still not there yet.

Anyone had this problem before? Anywhere else can I loosen parking brake further? Thanks

Wagner QuickStop Z832 Brake Shoe Set, Rear, Drum Brake - Amazon Canada

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just curious it's one of your drum springs tall enough to actually hit the hub as you're squeezing the shoes all the way together in the picture it's very confusing but these are the same layout as my Corolla rear drums and in the picture it looks like not but that can't be it's just optical I guess

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both shoes should be resting on the backing plate. The image isn't very clear (for me), which part is sitting where again?

Try rotating the drum (or hub) one stud at a time during reinstallation, sometimes this can help mate them together.

4. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem solved.

One end of the strut was in wrong direction (longer end outside), apposed to the manual. Weird right side fit in but left (luckily) didn't.

Attached Files:

• rod.JPG
      rod.JPG
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual usually will detail one side for these kinds of jobs. Again, usually, the manual will state that and whether to mirror or copy the process for the other side.